Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Book Party!



Last night, the book launch party for the StudioSTL anthology brought together over 200 people--students, mentors, families, community members--at the Contemporary Art Museum. Some of the students completely got into the book signing, brandishing Sharpies with a flourish and admonishing everyone to enjoy the book.

One student, with whom I had worked closely, had been sullen back in October. She didn't like writing, she said then, and she thought the project was stupid. She wanted to work on homework for other classes instead. Over the weeks we met together, I cajoled and negotiated, trying both to respect her feelings and to push her forward. In the end, we reached a kind of understanding; she came out with not one but three wonderful pieces, and then served on the student editorial board this winter. When she autographed my book, she added, to the one who made me write. When I told her that brought tears to my eyes, she said gruffly, "None of that. You know me." I couldn't help smiling.

As I was driving home, I reflected on what a wonderful project it has been. I hope the process--from the initial drafts to the fabulous launch party--gave the students a sense of the community's faith in them.

I also thought about where I was a year ago: deeply conflicted about writing, feeling isolated and frustrated that I had reached age 30 without publishing a book. Volunteering with StudioSTL was a healing experience that allowed me to turn my focus away from myself and outward towards others. In the process, I started feeling a new freedom with my own writing. I still haven't published a book, but I helped other people do so.


A few pictures from last night....

Most of the student writers:



Autographing:



Reading:

1 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

What a cool thing to be a part of. Congratulations!

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home