Feeding My Son
In honor of World Breastfeeding Week, I’m including an essay I wrote last year. I sent it to the
Last week, I took my son to see my parents in
My son Benjamin is breastfed. On our last trip, my husband sat with me in the car as I fed Ben. I feel like breastfeeding in public makes me vulnerable, as though I’m back in caveman days and if saber-tooth tigers came along I’d be dinner. Having my husband there made me feel safe. But now I was traveling alone, and the baby could not go for more than two hours without eating.
I have always been a modest person, feeling exposed if I so much as jog in a sports bra. When pregnant, I did not plan to breastfeed in public.
But then, on the 4th of July, I took my 6-week-old son to see the parade on the Parkway, and he got hungry. I looked around in a panic and then, as the mummers strutted down the street, I sat on a curb and huddled under a blanket. No one noticed; a string band is a great distraction.
Although no one has ever chastised me for nursing in public, in a culture that considers the primary purpose of breasts to be titillation, there is always the chance that someone will get upset. My aunt still remembers a woman yelling at her when, decades ago, she fed her son. In
I don’t believe that everyone knows about the law. In
I knew as I planned my trip that I was unlikely to find anywhere private to feed my baby. The service plazas off the turnpike don’t have nursing areas. Parking lots are not secluded places.
I hope to comply with the
However, as I contemplate breastfeeding for at least nine more months, I have two wishes: 1) more places to nurse in private, and 2) wider acceptance of public nursing in this country.
As far as the first wish, once our culture recognizes that feeding babies benefits the common good, it makes sense that turnpike service plazas would have nursing rooms. Some places, such as IKEA, already have “baby care” rooms where mothers can feed their babies. We need more such places, so that nursing women who would like privacy don’t have to furtively feed their babies under blankets, in cars, and in dressing rooms.
As for the second wish, many other cultures consider nursing normal, not something to be hidden away. I wish both for legal change—laws such as
On the way to State College, I pulled off near
I was nervous as I sat in a corner and threw a blanket over my shoulder. (Ben promptly tried to pull it off—he can grab now.) But as I sipped my coffee and listened to classical music, I started to relax. I tensed again as a male employee neared, wiping down tables; I imagined he was biding his time until he came up and told me to stop.
But as I was packing up, the man smiled. “Your baby’s so quiet I hardly knew he was there,” he said. I smiled back, and turned to take my well-fed baby home.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
2 Comments:
. . . the reactions people have to breastfeeding in public amaze me. it seems that many people can't tell the difference between something that upsets them but that they can get used to, versus something that actually causes them a problem in life.
i've yet to meet or hear of, for example, the husband of a woman who stuck with breastfeeding who didn't get used to it. i'd be interested in hearing what horrible things people imagine would happen if women breastfed in public: i suspect this would say more about the person's assumptions about women (and men) than about breastfeeding itself.
Tess,
I breastfed Emma for over a year and I always hated that i had to go find a hidden place to feed her. I would use dressing rooms at Walmart, Target, JC Penny's. I have used my backseat many a time!At my in-law's, i had to go use their bedroom and shut the door.
I agree with you that things need to change. A baby needs to eat. If you're discreet, it's not even that noticeable that you are BREASTfeeding.
I think there will always be rude people, however, who will not accept this.
Good article.
Elisa
Post a Comment
<< Home