Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Saturday Art: failure

Hmm. I don't know where to start with this. Here, first let me show you a picture of my destroyed studio: the project wasn't worth it.

destroyed studio

Yes, that's shredded newspaper. No, I wasn't upset with the news (no more than usual); I decided to do a torn paper collage kind of art thing. I had found a used art book about value a while back and thought I'd look through it for ideas about this drawing. In it there was a section about torn paper and how you should be able to make anything look three dimensional with only three tones: light, medium and dark.

Ugh.

It failed. Maybe I made it too small. I couldn't tear paper small enough for fingers or other details.

I couldn't make the right arm look like anything with only three tones. I suppose you have to practice these things.

Well, tearing the paper was fun.

Oh, yeah, the project. Here's the ugly old thing:

finished project

Is that a spotlight? What is that person doing? Who knows!

I'll look at it tomorrow. Maybe I can fix it. Maybe I'll redo it. Either way, I'm done for today.

2 Comments:

Blogger Francesca said...

Actually, I'm still impressed. I can see why you think this failed but it didn't -- at least, I think that it still has some interesting edgy stuff going on and I'm blown away that you can do that with newspaper. With newspaper. That's amazing. New uses for the Inquirer.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

I love it! It's a cross-country skiier!

Dutti Stuntmother. I can't believe you could do that with just newspaper.

Hh

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home