Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Halloween!


When you have kids, suddenly Halloween is not just a day, but a season. Last weekend, I went to two adult Halloween parties as a belly dancer. I chose the costume because I already had most of it, and I wanted an excuse to buy a veil. Note to self: Next year, choose a costume that doesn't require you to hold your stomach in all night.

Ben started his day with a Halloween parade at day care. Kids in his class were little pigs, and the teachers were the big bad wolves. They paraded past the retirement center on the grounds, and some of their "grand friends" came out to cheer. The sight of the older adults made me feel suddenly sad; I was reminded of how these days of intensive parenthood will pass, and one day a glimpse of children will be special.


Tonight, Ben dressed up as Elmo. (Longtime readers will notice that I have abandoned nearly all of my qualms about licensed characters, as long as they're on Sesame Street.) He loved getting candy, and he even followed the St. Louis tradition of telling a joke (as his trick). He didn't tell the joke perfectly every time, but it was a noble attempt.

Ben's Halloween joke:

Knock knock.
Who's there?
Boo!
Boo who?
Please don't cry!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The sight of the older adults made me feel suddenly sad; I was reminded of how these days of intensive parenthood will pass, and one day a glimpse of children will be special."

That quote really struck me. Well said.

Thomas was Elmo too! Halloween is so much fun. I dressed up as a 27 year old parent. ;)

5:24 AM  
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

Next year, choose a costume that doesn't require you to hold your stomach in all night. - that is the trick with bellydancing costumes, isn't it?? I was thinking about wearing mine, but I decided that even just opening the front door to hand out candy would mean I'd be underdressed for the weather. COLD! But no rain, luckily. Those rainy years must have been a nightmare for my parents, but I cannot remember ever being phased by bad weather on Halloween. CANDY!

5:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About the licensed characters: Just be glad Ben knows normal licensed products, like Elmo and Big Bird. My darling child doesn't know Elmo from a hole in his head, but thanks to his obsession with tractors, he can recognize the John Deere logo upside down a mile away on the dusty hat of a person dancing a jig. It's a little scary.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Ben is SO cute...and you look lovely in your pic!

Hh

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home