The Important Thing
*
My birth story begins in college, ten years before I got pregnant. While taking a fiction writing class, I wrote a story about a woman who had had several miscarriages. The professor frowned at my vague details and suggested I do more research on the topic.
I was captivated. I disturbed my friends by pouring over the pages of The Atlas of Fetal Pathology, looking at the grotesque pictures of fetuses with only one eye, or holes in their heads. I read feminist writings about pregnancy and childbirth, and quizzed friends’ mothers about their episiotomies. I surprised the doctor at the student health center by asking her about midwives—not because I was pregnant, but because I was fascinated by the idea of childbirth as an empowering experience. In my early twenties, pregnancy and motherhood were themes that reoccurred in my fiction, even though I had experienced neither.
When I became pregnant at twenty-eight, I knew where I wanted to give birth: The Birth Center, in
At thirty-six weeks, we went in for our weekly appointment. As Tom held my hand, the midwife listened to the familiar whoosh-whoosh-whoosh of the heartbeat on the Doppler. When she felt my stomach, though, she frowned. “I can’t tell whether the baby is upside-down or right-side up,” she said as she felt a bulge down low. “I’m going to recommend an ultrasound just to make sure. You’re also measuring a bit small, so I’ll ask them to check the baby’s growth too.”
The ultrasound was an annoyance—I would have to miss more work—but I took it in stride. We went in a few days later and got to see the blurry pictures of our son once more. “Yup, he’s breech,” the technician said. She sent us off to the hospital cafeteria while we waited for the doctor to become available. We ate soggy pizza, and I grumbled about how inconvenient a version would be.
But when we met with the doctor, he told us that my amniotic fluid was low, so trying to turn the baby was not an option. “I’m going to recommend a C-section by the end of the week at the latest,” he said.
“But I still have things to finish up at work,” I said, not understanding the gravity of the situation at all.
I don’t remember much of what the doctor said after that. I remember that he had a wedding ring, and dark hair on his arms. I remember that he talked about studies, and how breech births used to be allowed, but that virtually no doctors performed them any more. When he finished, I stumbled through the hospital hallway and tried to internalize the fact that instead of getting the natural birth I had wanted for ten years, I would be having surgery.
The hospital scheduled us for surgery at 11:00 AM the next day. I spent the night shakily packing a bag and talking to friends and family on the phone. On the way to the hospital, hungry from my fast, I talked about food incessantly. I was scared out of my mind. Tom took a brief video of me in my hospital gown as we waited for the operating room to be ready. I looked tired, my skin grayish in the florescent light of the hospital.
Instead of the natural birth I wanted, doctors numbed me, strapped me down, cut me open. I didn’t feel a single contraction.
I know it was the best possible C-section I could have had. My midwife stayed with me in the operating room, and so did Tom. I remember Tom holding a bundle out to me, and then I kissed the unbelievable softness of Ben’s cheek. After I had been wheeled into the recovery room, Tom and the midwife helped me breastfeed.
But it still breaks my heart that I couldn’t hold my baby right after his birth and nuzzle him. I’m sad that Tom couldn’t cut the cord as we had planned. I hate to picture how the nurses let Ben cry in the nursery in his plastic bassinet, while I lay in bed on another floor of the hospital, still woozy from medication. I’m sad that I had to spend three nights in an impersonal hospital, instead of going home sooner to start our life together as a family.
People said to me later, “At least the baby’s healthy. That’s the important thing.” And I wonder: Why can’t there be more than one important thing? Of course I wanted my baby to be safe. That’s why I consented to a medical procedure I had done my best to avoid. But having a healthy baby doesn’t take away from the mourning I did for the birth I couldn’t have.
Now my son is two years old. I have told and re-told the story of his birth so many times that the sadness isn’t as forceful any more. The day of his birth was just one of many days in our time together. But it was his very first day in the world, and I had wanted to welcome him as best I could.
I have learned that there is more than one important thing about being a mother. Motherhood requires sacrifice—and not necessarily the sacrifices we had planned on making. It requires honoring the sadness of lost dreams, and fully living the reality that takes their place.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
4 Comments:
I'm not reasoning away your disappointment in Ben's birth, I swear - but for me there was something very healing about VBAC-ing Lily. I hope you'll be able to do that, too. Thanks for sharing this piece- I've (obviously?) been thinking about Oscar's birth a lot, too - we induced, all sorts of terrifying things, and I was so sick after - but anyway, it has passed and now I wish that had been the hardest part of mothering *sigh.*
I think I'm officially rambling. Sorry. Hope you're all four well, and Happy May Baby Birthday to Ben!!
Aw, Tess, that's beautiful. Thanks for sharing. My "lost dreams" center on my inability to breastfeed successfully. And I still feel that loss, as well as guilt at what that inability may have "cost" M's development in infancy...he's fine, surely, but there are still plenty of "what ifs." As we get further and further from that early time, though, I think it's easier for me to let go of the resentment and guilt whenever they visit, if only because there's really nothing I can do about it now! What I can do now is enjoy the life we have and try to make the best choices available to us.
I got goose bumps when you were talking about getting the ultrasound and waiting on the doctors!
I'm not sure what it is that facinates me about stories on child birth, but I can't seem to get enough. Maybe it's because we're not planning on having more.
With my oldest, we had to change which hospital we were going to be at at the last minute. Until my younger one was born, I always felt "robbed" in a sense too. But, after the younger one was born, I don't feel as strongly about it.
Happy Birthday Ben!
I had my second c-section two weeks ago. I had truly wanted to have a vbac this time and worked very closely with a doula and my doctors to try to make that happen. In the end, after being a week and a half past due with no progress, we scheduled the second c-section. My chances for a vbac are now gone forever, if God blesses us again, it will be a c-section birth. I have mourned that I won't ever feel a true childbirth. As you said Tess, our healthy babies are the most important thing, but there could be more than one important thing....
Thanks for your story, and letting me share mine here.
Post a Comment
<< Home