Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Friday, November 14, 2008

Every Vote Counts...

... except if you live in Missouri. Ten days after the election, our presidential election results are still not final. The latest unofficial tally has McCain leading by under 5,000 votes, but thousands of provisional ballots are yet to be counted. If this election were as close as the presidential election of 2000, all eyes would be on Missouri--but instead, we're largely ignored as everyone worries about the economy and speculates about the incoming Obama administration.


If McCain does in fact carry the state, then Missouri will lose its status as a bellwether state. Fun fact: the word "bellwether" does not, as I had been assuming in the back of my mind, have anything to do with being a "fair weather" state; etymologically speaking, it refers to a castrated male sheep that wears a bell and leads the flock.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I wonder why a castrated sheep is better for leading the flock? No scent hormones to interfere? Interesting.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home