Blogging: The First Fortnight

Two weeks ago, I started this blog. I didn’t know how it was going to go, but my journal had descended into self-flagellation and I was ready to try something new. Here are some things I’ve learned in the past fourteen days:
1) The blogosphere is, overall, a fascinating place. Once you start following links, it’s hard to stop. It’s easy to get drawn in and neglect your duties, at least until your one-year-old gets fed up and decides to turn off your computer. On the other hand…
2) A lot of blogs out there aren’t very good. Sometimes I just sit here and click “next blog,” and most of what I find is in another language or incomplete or rambling. My favorite random blog I found so far is http://citymice.blogspot.com.
3) A post does not have to be long. In college, I was an opinion columnist for the student newspaper, and I got used to pontificating in 750-word chunks. I have realized I will burn out if I try to write the equivalent of an opinion column a day, so I’m trying to mix short posts in with long posts.
4) The posts don’t have to be about a single topic. While some people enjoy writing about their families, and others write only about politics, I want to write about a variety of topics. My husband observed that I seem to be trying to be a one-woman New Yorker, which is tiring sometimes. Also, I’m no good at drawing cartoons (but if someone could draw me a woman nagging a man sitting in a recliner, I have a great caption ready to go).
5) If you link to a Newsweek story, such as this week’s cover story, they’ll link back to you and maybe send a few bored web surfers your way.
6) Finding out your blog’s ranking on Technorati is probably depressing.
7) Most of all, though, it’s rewarding to be part of an online community. I’ve enjoyed reading the blogs written by people I know, and I’m always psyched when people leave me comments. It’s amazing to be able to put my thoughts out there and get feedback moments later. This is more immediate than any writing I’ve done.
I think I’ll stick with it for a while. I might not be updating every day, but I’ll try to several times a week. Thanks to everyone who has read the blog or posted comments!
Photo by Erunion on flickr.com.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home