Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Coffee and Donuts



Before I moved to St. Louis, I read an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer that noted there are only 70 Dunkin Donuts west of the Mississippi. I had lived in North Carolina for three years—Krispy Kreme Kountry—and I was relieved to be back up North with a Dunkin Donuts on every other street corner. I couldn't believe the article. Only 70 western Dunkin Donuts?

Now that I’m West of the Mississippi, the nearest Dunkin Donuts is 29.6 miles away. According to the pollster Zogby, that should be fine by me; according to a recent study, Starbucks has “two-to-one dominance among liberals and progressives” over Dunkin Donuts, and “women prefer Starbucks by a….40% to 24% margin.”

Zogby was polling about coffee, not donuts, and as far as coffee is concerned I definitely follow the herd of liberal women to the nearest Starbucks. I don’t like that Dunkin Donuts puts cream and sugar in my coffee for me; I much prefer to fiddle with it myself and make the ratios perfect. The fancy coffee drinks at Dunkin Donuts are too sweet and decadent; I’ll take my tall-skim-mocha-light-whip any day.

But the donuts from DD can’t be beat. As far as I’m concerned, Krispy Kremes are fine if the hot light is on, but otherwise they’re painfully sweet and not worth the money. The overpriced pastries from Starbucks are nice as a treat, but they can’t compare with a chocolate-iced donut from DD.

Ah, Zogby. He agrees that we’re defined by what we consume. I wonder where he buys his coffee? Or perhaps, like my husband, he evades categorization entirely by drinking tea.


Photo by Sidereal on flickr.com.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

Alright...I agree on every front. I love Starbucks coffee, although many locations are not refreshing their pots enough for me, so I order an Americano to ensure the freshest path to my mouth. Dunkin Donuts are the yummiest and Krispy Kremes are TOO rich for my blood.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

And...oh yeah, GREAT BLOG!!! It's as wholesome as a whole wheat sour cream donut, but as tasty as a jelly donut.

7:02 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Ok, I live in Orlando. Land of Dunkin Donuts on every corner and Krispy Kreme conveniently located. I have a favorite from each. Chocolate iced creme filled at Krispy Kreme and Creme filled at Dunkin Donuts. I'm not picky. Mmmmmmmmm, donuts. There my friend.

7:18 AM  
Blogger tom said...

props to the house of tea. if i lived in england, would i be able to get a decent cuppa when out and about?

i was astounded in st. louis, at a perfectly good italian restaurant, when they had nothing resembling decaf tea. they had herbals, but no decaf tea, and only really one kind of decent caf tea. what is going on? where have i moved?

thank goodness the house of tea ships nationally. . .

7:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Starbucks does not sell coffee. They should be sued for false advertisement. Go into a Starbucks and ask for a regular black coffee, they will look at you with disbelief.
Dunkin Donuts sells coffee, very high quality coffee, at that. And you can always ask for it black and add your own ratio of creme and sugar. If you want foam milk and latte-frappa-ccino-everything-but-coffee, go to Starbucks. They'll have all the post modern fancy (not to mention over priced) european brews you can ask for. But if your choice is real coffee, brewed from the coffee bean and not some frothy milk and cinnamon mixture lacking body flavor and aroma, I suppose you'll have to go back to the east.
I'm inclined to move back to Connecticut in light of the fact that there are no DD's in St. Louis. The coffee shops that are out here have weak and under-brewed coffee, and gas station coffee is just plain brown water.
I will admit, it affects me alot because I've been addicted to DD's coffee for years, so I'm a little more annoyed by it than others. But really, what is the reason for no DD's past the Miss? I don't understand.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home