Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Thursday, February 23, 2006

The Last Time I'll Mention A Million Little Pieces on My Blog

Last night I went to one book club to discuss A Million Little Pieces, and tonight I'll go to the second one. I was happy about last night's meeting because we met up at a restaurant and I got to eat a pulled pork sandwich. I did my best to tone down my ranting about the book, but I'm not sure I was entirely successful.

A few more thoughts before I abandon this topic forever on my blog:

1) Frey's publisher announced today that they are dropping him and they are no longer under contract to publish his next few books. This seems a bit hypocritical to me, since they're still selling his old books and I'm sure they've earned a lot of money from them.

2) I do feel bad for Frey. He may not have spent months in jail, but he has grappled with difficult problems. I would think that if anything would induce a relapse, it would be Oprah chastising you on national television. It's bad enough to mess up; it's worse to mess up and be criticized by everyone from pundits to bloggers.

3) It makes me feel all warm inside to think that the U.S. is still up for an old-fashioned literary scandal. Maybe literature (I'm using the term loosely) still has an important place in our culture. One thing I'll say for this book: it has raised some interesting discussions among people who don't usually talk about literature.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home