Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Monday, February 06, 2006

A T.V. Event

Tom and I were excited to watch the Big Event on TV last night. We had waited so long! We even talked about buying a new TV so we could see it on a bigger, flat screen.

Does anyone else feel this way about Bleak House on Masterpiece Theatre?

Now we just have to wait until next week for the 5th part in the miniseries. You can quibble with Dickens all you want (and I'm not overly fond of his depiction of women and Jews), but he's a great storyteller. Writing in installments gave him a knack for drawing readers along and making them want to know what happens next--perfect miniseries material. What is Lady Deadlock hiding? What will become of the interminable court case Jarndyce v. Jarndyce? Will Esther Summerson ever discover the secret of her parentage?


Gillian Anderson as Lady Deadlock; photo from pbs.org.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

My big event was The Two Gentlemen of Verona last night, about which I also had issues regarding the treatment of Jews and women.

I forgot that the Super Bowl was even on - shouldn't tell, I guess, lest the unAmerican police come and haul my classics-appreciating self away.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Precie said...

I'm so upset! I saw in Entertainment Weekly that Bleak House was coming and yet totally missed it! Was it good?

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home