Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Saturday Art

Well, let's see. I'm floundering with the dog book... I sit down to draw, and I just can't seem to make any progress. I can't pick out what breeds should be characters. I'll draw one for awhile and then it doesn't suggest any kind of individual personality. So I'll pick another breed and draw that for awhile. And the same thing happens.

On top of it all, I was sick (how many times can you get sick in one year?). So the one day I all out sat on the couch surrounded by all of my fun stuff (book, magazine, knitting, computer) I picked up a note pad and began doodling a new drawing. It wasn't about dogs. It was based on a Death Cab for Cutie song title, 'Different Names for the Same Thing.' I have found that song to be interesting but undefined. The song lyrics suggests some images, but I don't think the song is about them per se.

On the seventh page of the note pad, I got to something that might end up a real drawing. Do I show it? It's not something to show off. It's the begining of an idea. Oh, why not. So you know what I'm talking about.

Different Names

2 Comments:

Blogger Tess said...

I'm curious--do you feel like showing people a work-in-progress saps your motivation or helps you? Sometimes I'm afraid to show people incomplete drafts because I worry that I won't want to finish work if people have already read it.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Kaela said...

It motivates me, completely. Once I post it I feel obligated to follow through whether I like it or not.

I really hate committing to anything. I've built up a superstition of sorts about what I can or can't say about a piece that I'm working on in private because it might affect the outcome. My motivation is so thin, that the slightest change in mood makes a drawing seem like a great or terrible idea.

But when I post a sketch it becomes An Assignment like from school. Then, of course, I'm *required* to finish it. The act of making it public shores it up and gives it more substance/reality. You believe it so I believe it.

Nice question, Tess.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home