Ben's First Surgery
Ben got ear tubes in this morning, and overall the surgery went well. Like many milestones in his life, I think his first surgery was harder on me than it was on him. I hated the thought of Ben being knocked out and was worried he'd have an adverse reaction to the anethesia.
We had to get him to the hospital by 6 AM, which was a pain; there, Ben changed into peach hospital pajamas and met other babies and toddlers who were having surgery. I wish I had brought my camera for a photo essay--he was very cute sitting on the "big boy bed" and coloring. Then the nurse gave him some meds to relax him, and he started lolling around with a drunk smile on his face. They took him away, and the surgery was done before I could return from the cafeteria with a cup of coffee.
When they brought Ben back, he was grouchy as the gas wore off. Nursing calmed him right down, and he cuddled and dozed in my lap for a while. Then we brought him home and he watched The Best of Elmo DVD five times, and ate peaches and a peanut butter sandwich for lunch. By late afternoon, he was his chipper self again.
We had to get him to the hospital by 6 AM, which was a pain; there, Ben changed into peach hospital pajamas and met other babies and toddlers who were having surgery. I wish I had brought my camera for a photo essay--he was very cute sitting on the "big boy bed" and coloring. Then the nurse gave him some meds to relax him, and he started lolling around with a drunk smile on his face. They took him away, and the surgery was done before I could return from the cafeteria with a cup of coffee.
When they brought Ben back, he was grouchy as the gas wore off. Nursing calmed him right down, and he cuddled and dozed in my lap for a while. Then we brought him home and he watched The Best of Elmo DVD five times, and ate peaches and a peanut butter sandwich for lunch. By late afternoon, he was his chipper self again.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
8 Comments:
I'm SOOOO glad this went well. Having been at the hospital these last two days working with a post op patient I am relieved to know he's his "old self".
I'm also glad you survived. Having been the one standing by with all our manboys childhood surgeries, means I know that this is one of those times you really earn your "Mom" stripes.
Hh
I echo Hannah's relief knowing that everything went well. I can imagine that I would be a nervous wreck if Thomas went in for surgery, no matter how "minor." I suppose some of it's from watching too much ER.
Way to go, Ben!! You too, mommy! From what I understand, getting tubes is a great thing and will help so much.
P.S. There is no such thing as "minor" surgery when it's your baby.
Glad it went well for him. I can't believe all that hair!
Isn't it funny how fast they grow?
What a trooper Ben is and what a trooper you are Tess. DH and I are both glad the surgery went well and quickly. I hope that everything is easier with his ears from this point forward.
Bring on more Elmo!
tracy
Poor Ben!
I hope you're all recovering.
Ben continues to do wonderfully. In fact, we're wondering what we've unleashed--he has been super-cheerful and energetic, and into everything.
I'm slowly working my way through your old messages. So much of what you went through with Ben, I went through with one or the other of my two. Including the ear tubes. After Anna got hers, I brought her home and she sat on the floor saying "Dada dada dada" for a good 15 minutes straight. (Probably because she sounded different to herself). It was a hard decision, but I think we made the right choice doing it. She hasn't had any problems with her ears since!
Post a Comment
<< Home