Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Friday, October 13, 2006

Out for a Walk


Yesterday when I was trying to work on my new novel, I got stuck, so I went for a walk. I hadn't realized how much my lunchtime walking in Philadelphia helped me write. There's something about combining forward motion with mulling over thoughts that helps jar things loose in my brain.

It was an amazingly beautiful day: deep blue sky, colorful leaves, dazzling sunshine. I picked up an orange leaf and carried it as I walked. I said hi to the two people I met. An old woman told me, "This is my kind of day!"

When I got home, I hoped I'd be inspired to work on my novel. Instead, I wrote in my journal, and then wrote two poems. I tossed the leaf onto my journal, and then I noticed how striking the contrasting colors were, so I took the picture above.

Interesting how the creative process often works sideways.

3 Comments:

Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

That's a stunning photo--not just the contrasting colors, but the texture of the leaf and the shadow of it on the journal is too cool.

I can't wait to read your novel. Just reading your posts--like this one, which you probably wrote without thinking as much as others, are lyrical.

Hh

8:37 AM  
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

I always get inspiration in the shower. I don't know - maybe it's the uninterrupted free 15 minutes of solitude, with Keven watching the girls and the water drowning out their sounds in the other room. Always come out clean and ready to write!

9:34 AM  
Blogger Tess said...

Thank you, Hannah!

LS, I read your comment yesterday when a water main had broken and we had no water.... It made me long for a shower even more. Thank goodness our water was restored in the early evening.

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home