Saturday Art
I went to a SCBWI (Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators) conference today, learned a bunch of stuff and got a fair amount of sketching done. I read some good advice the other day that said I should be drawing the things I'm bad at, and I should draw A LOT. I hated the advice at first, but now I'm trying to put it into practice. Normally at a conference like this I would draw the backs of peoples heads... it kind of looks artistic and it's hard to mess up. Today, I drew the faces. The hard part. Overall, it was a good day. I'm just a little zonked now.
A few pages:


A few pages:


Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
3 Comments:
It looks like a good conference!
Thinking back to my piano lessons, I think that's why I never played as well as I wanted to: I practiced the parts I liked over and over, but I didn't have the patience to drill what I needed to improve.
And when you find the thing you don't mind doing despite the hard parts... that should be your vocation. I dropped out of art classes for the exact same reason I pursue writing now: couldn't stand the grunt work to be an artist but love the bits associated with becoming a better writer. And your people actually look like... people! Never got that far, myself. Nice word!
Hey, thanks. I so badly want to get better at what I do.
Post a Comment
<< Home