Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Thursday, October 05, 2006

C-sections: One size fits all

In this week's New Yorker, Atul Gawande looks at changes in childbirth practices over the past hundred years. His clear explanation made me understand why doctors perform so many C-sections; part of me had assumed the rise in C-section rates was some patriarchal plot for taking control of women, but Gawande suggests that the increase is more due to a lack of a set of skills on the part of doctors. Whereas in the past, doctors and midwives had to learn a variety of techniques for dealing with a wide range of childbirth complications, now they have one straightforward surgical operation that they can use to address many different difficulties. Although he expresses some regret, Gawande doesn't seem to think the "industrialization" of childbirth is going to change any time soon. At the end of the article, though, he suggests that perhaps a score similar to the Apgar score is needed to evaluate women's outcomes after birth and determine which practices are in their best interest.

Of course, the midwifery model of care provides an alternative to industrial childbirth, but it's only used by a small percentage of women. And midwives are also constrained by liability issues; although with a skilled practitioner it probably would have been possible for me to give birth normally to a breech baby, I was not allowed that option.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was an interesting (and surprisingly even-handed) article. Quite a throrough history of things I didn't know. Thanks for pointing it out.

How would increased C-sections be a patriarchal plot?

(On the other hand, I *have* wondered if the resurgence of breastfeeding is actually a plot by conniving husbands, since when you're breastfeeding you have to always be the one to get up at night to feed the baby!) :)

7:24 PM  
Blogger Tess said...

Well, you could see it as a patriarchal plot to disempower women. Childbirth used to be an almost exclusively feminine domain, and most women delivered at home with the help of other women. With natural childbirth, the doctor is practically optional; a woman's body (usually) figures out what to do, and it proceeds on its own schedule. This can be seen as disturbing or threatening to doctors, who would like to believe their expertise is always necessary.

A C-section is scheduled for the convenience of the doctor and the hospital, and the woman is passive and strapped down. It's an operation performed on a woman, instead of a process in which the woman plays an active role. (Of course, the fact that many doctors are now women complicates this argument.)

One thing I found interesting about the article was the positive discussion of foreceps. I hadn't realized that, in the right hands, foreceps could be quite effective.

And I just saw breastfeeding as a reason to get out of diaper changes.

8:12 PM  
Blogger k.thedoula said...

Beautifully written.
Thank you!
My first child was by c/s as well for breech... I'm still angry at all the other breech babies that were "allowed" to be born after mine some days. I've had two hbac's since then... but it still makes me sad, make that sad instead of angry. I get angry at all the iotrogenic c/s's happening now a days.
Anyway. Beautifully written.
K

9:06 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

This is great--and I'm going to have to link to it!

Hh

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home