Grammar Snob
A friend passed on a link to all kinds of wonderful t-shirts; some warn "I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you," and others admonish, "There. Their. They're. Get it right." If I were still teaching, I would buy a bunch of the magnets to put up in my classroom. Who can resist a mug that says, "I love hyperbole the best. Ever."? (One quibble, though--the list of 10 Grammar peeves states that "Affect is a verb. Effect is a noun." Those are certainly the most common usages, but both words can be both.)
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
7 Comments:
I interesting I jst had to look up the definition and usage of those two words!
Um...I thought it was effect was a noun and affect was a verb?
sound effect
affected me?
Whoops--changed the original post. That is indeed what the shirt says.
But you can also effect change or, in psychology-speak, have a negative affect (accent on first syllable).
OMG--I must get the "Apostrophes don't make plurals" shirt. Must have it!
Thanks! :)
Hmmmppphhh, I'm a psych major and my parents are both PhDs in sociology and can I just say...we still get mixed up on the affect/effect deal! It is so frustrating. If you have a trick that will help us get it right, miss grammar snob, let us know!
Um, yes, I should be sleeping...
Hi thhanks for posting this
Great read thannks
Post a Comment
<< Home