8 Random Things Meme
Carrie over at LovelySalome tagged me with this meme over a month ago, and I am just now getting around to doing it. You're supposed to list 8 random things about yourself, so here goes:
1. The first thing I did when I saw this meme was look up "random." I know it's a word that makes statistically-minded people touchy. For purposes of this meme, "random" means "proceeding, made, or occurring without definite aim, reason, or pattern," and not "of or characterizing a process of selection in which each item of a set has an equal probability of being chosen."
2. Speaking of processes of selection, in college I learned how to program in C++ and did half of a computer science minor, in part because two guys I knew tried to convince me that the classes would be too hard for me since I was "kind of a black boxer when it comes to computers." I proved my point and then lost interest.
3. My favorite book is To the Lighthouse.
4. Part of the reason I don't want to do a PhD in English is that I hope never to see the word "hymenality" in an academic article ever again.
5. I hate the thought of owning fish as pets. I still have occasional nightmares about neglected fish.
6. My passport expires in December. I'm ambivalent about paying to get it renewed, since I have no immediate plans for international travel, but it may be worth the money to know I could leave the country if I wanted to.
7. I hate it when people use "leverage" as a verb.
8. Instead of tagging people, I will consider this an open tag to any reader who needs something about which to blog.
1. The first thing I did when I saw this meme was look up "random." I know it's a word that makes statistically-minded people touchy. For purposes of this meme, "random" means "proceeding, made, or occurring without definite aim, reason, or pattern," and not "of or characterizing a process of selection in which each item of a set has an equal probability of being chosen."
2. Speaking of processes of selection, in college I learned how to program in C++ and did half of a computer science minor, in part because two guys I knew tried to convince me that the classes would be too hard for me since I was "kind of a black boxer when it comes to computers." I proved my point and then lost interest.
3. My favorite book is To the Lighthouse.
4. Part of the reason I don't want to do a PhD in English is that I hope never to see the word "hymenality" in an academic article ever again.
5. I hate the thought of owning fish as pets. I still have occasional nightmares about neglected fish.
6. My passport expires in December. I'm ambivalent about paying to get it renewed, since I have no immediate plans for international travel, but it may be worth the money to know I could leave the country if I wanted to.
7. I hate it when people use "leverage" as a verb.
8. Instead of tagging people, I will consider this an open tag to any reader who needs something about which to blog.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
1 Comments:
"Hymenality"??! That's lovely.
The thing that did it for me was hearing the phrase "Let's get beyond the OBVIOUS interpretation" one too many times in class. Sometimes the obvious interpretation is RIGHT.
Post a Comment
<< Home