Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Thursday, August 02, 2007

American Airlines Gripe

This weekend, I'm going to a wedding in Durham, NC. When I saw a reasonable fare online at the beginning of July, I called the friend I would be staying with to confirm the dates. In my excitement talking to her, I entered my email address incorrectly on the American Airlines web site.

Worried that I wouldn't be able to receive my e-ticket, I called American Airlines and spoke to a representative. She cleared everything up in the space of a minute, and I hung up happy to have been helped by such a competent person.

But today I looked over my e-tickets and realized that a fee had been added. Despite the fact that I had originally booked my tickets on the AA web site, American had added a $10 fee for "Telephone Ticketing Service"--without telling me.

That's right. I paid $10 for the privilege of talking with a customer service representative.

I'm in shock, but at $10 a pop I can hardly afford to call back. Instead, I'm going to email them, and I'll update my readers in the comments section with what American has to say.

* * *

Here's a copy of my email to them:


Dear Customer Service:

I booked the above flight on the AA web site. After I had ordered the tickets, I realized I had typed in my email address wrong, so I called customer service.

The woman I spoke with was very helpful and cleared up the problem in a minute. I was left with a very positive feeling towards AA customer service.

However, when I looked over my e-ticket today, I was upset and confused to see a $10 "Telephone Ticketing Service" fee had been added, even though I had booked my tickets on the web site. I can only assume there is some mistake, especially since the customer service representative mentioned nothing about such a fee. If it is not a mistake, I find it outrageous that American Airlines would charge $10 to correct a simple error, especially without informing their customers of the fact.

Please remove that charge from my credit card.

Thank you very much for your time. I look forward to hearing from you. I have posted this story on my blog and would like to update my readers about the resolution of this matter.

Sincerely,

Tess Thompson

2 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

American lost my bags on the way to Dallas. They're on my pooplist at the moment.

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My fee for reading this blog entry and replying will be $5. Just thought you'd like to know that up front. If you check your comment section again, you may be charged this fee.

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home