Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Recommended Reading

My critique group has been discussing this article by Anne Lamott, in which she tries to figure out what she will say to the attendees of a writing conference in lieu of giving them "toxic hope." She says, "I always end up feeling guilty at writing conferences because I know that mostly the participants will not get published, and no one seems to be willing to tell them this." The article may not be exactly cheering if you're holding onto the hope that one day you will have a book published--but in the end, Lamott offers the hope that we can find satisfaction in the act of writing itself.

1 Comments:

Blogger emily said...

Your post came at a most perfect time.

Remembering to find satisfaction in writing itself.

And remember, Tess, how many people you are reaching through your blog...

It's so fantastic.

I do think you'll get a book published though! :) I have every faith in this. Your talent has been evident since such a young age.

Emily

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home