Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Monday, February 04, 2008

Arch Words Endorsement: Barack Obama

Here at Arch Words, we are pleased to endorse Barack Obama for the Democratic nomination.


(I'm sure it will surprise no one to learn that I will be voting in the Democratic, rather than the Republican, primary tomorrow morning.)


When it comes to policies, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton have much in common; both candidates have strengths, and I will do my best to see that whichever one becomes the nominee is elected.


I believe that Hillary Clinton is stronger on women's issues, including fighting discrimination against working mothers, which I spent last semester researching. Their health care plans are similar (although neither go as far as I'd like). Obama is a more inspirational speaker--and, after seeing Can Mr. Smith Get to Washington Anymore? I am wary of political dynasties. For a while, I was torn in my decision.


What did it for me, though, was not Clinton's tearful moment (which I wish we could all move beyond and focus on policy) or Obama's reassurances that he's not a Muslim. No, over the past few weeks, what pushed me towards Obama can be summed up simply: Bill Clinton.


Bill Clinton's recent attacks on the campaign trail, including his attempts to call attention to Obama's race, made me deeply uneasy. There are two possibilities, both disturbing: either his wife cannot control his behavior, or she endorses it. Either one would pose a problem. To a lesser extent, Hillary Clinton's "experience" argument also strikes me as phony; either she is comparing herself to Obama in terms of elected experience--and they are therefore comparable--or she is not admitting that his stint as a law professor and community organizer is every bit as much "experience" as her work at a law firm and on various boards and task forces.

Call me an idealist, but I am drawn to Obama's message of hope and community. I would love to see Democrats choose a nominee who appeals to both our better natures and our practical concerns.

1 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

Me too. All of that. Billy Boy has been irking me something serious of late--a bit too much of the true colors behind their joint struggle to get the nom.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home