Put the Kids to Work!
This afternoon, Ben and I cleaned his room and made pumpkin bars together. I was inspired by research by Marty Rossmann I'd just read about: "Using measures of individual's success such as completion of education, getting started on a career path, IQ, relationships with family and friends, and not using drugs, and examining a child's involvement in household tasks... Rossmann determined that the best predictor of young adults' success in their mid-20s was that they participated in household tasks when they were three or four." Granted, the sample size was small, but why risk it?
The funny thing was, we had an above-average afternoon. I was happy that we got a lot done; Ben seemed to enjoy interacting with me and helping out (especially holding the mixer). I've noticed for a while that 3-year-olds have a genuine desire to be generous and helpful (which is, alas, not often matched by their competence), and I do try to channel that energy. After all, I like feeling that I have a job to do and can do it well; why wouldn't he?
The funny thing was, we had an above-average afternoon. I was happy that we got a lot done; Ben seemed to enjoy interacting with me and helping out (especially holding the mixer). I've noticed for a while that 3-year-olds have a genuine desire to be generous and helpful (which is, alas, not often matched by their competence), and I do try to channel that energy. After all, I like feeling that I have a job to do and can do it well; why wouldn't he?
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
2 Comments:
I try to make room for the girls to participate, because they're so eager! Yes, making banana muffins takes twice as long, but what message would I be sending if I didn't allow them to help? No, you're not wanted here! I don't need your help! Then I'd only be complaining in 10 years when they're inconsiderate teens. So I make time. Glad to know science is on my side.
And I hope you and your family have a great holiday season. Even tho I don't comment all the time, I love the pics you post. Much better than my photo garble :)
I have my oldest help with dinner as often as possible, if nothing else it helps make sure that she's not fighting with her sister.
It's good to know that their helping is so beneficial. I'll make a greater effort from now on to have them help.
Post a Comment
<< Home