Best Cover Songs
Some friends and I recently discussed our favorite cover songs. My top three:
1) "Hurt," by Nine Inch Nails, covered by Johnny Cash. Cash turned this song into a fierce reflection on mortality. The video always brings tears to my eyes.
2) "Smells Like Teen Spirit," by Nirvana, covered by Tori Amos
3) "I Will Survive," by Gloria Gaynor, covered by Cake
Do readers have any songs to add? And what on earth did we all do before YouTube came along?
1) "Hurt," by Nine Inch Nails, covered by Johnny Cash. Cash turned this song into a fierce reflection on mortality. The video always brings tears to my eyes.
2) "Smells Like Teen Spirit," by Nirvana, covered by Tori Amos
3) "I Will Survive," by Gloria Gaynor, covered by Cake
Do readers have any songs to add? And what on earth did we all do before YouTube came along?
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
10 Comments:
Here are a few I'm fond of:
The White Stripes - Jolene
Mike Flowers Pops - Wonderwall
William Shatner - Common People (although the album version's far better)
Dean Wareham and Britta Phillips - Moonshot
And I agree on that Johnny Cash song. Most of his covers are great.
Johnny Cash's HURT is phenomenal...and I think he did it after his wife's death??
His cover of The Beatles' IN MY LIFE is lovely too.
I'd also add Depeche Mode's rendition of ROUTE 66 (mashed with their BEHIND THE WHEEL).
Oh, and William Shatner's ROCKET MAN...you've got to see it to believe it. LOL.
Que Sera Sera by Pink Martini was cool, very different than the original.
For alt-rock reworkings, there's the Lemonheads "Mrs. Robinson".
For equals to the originals, how about "Instanbul (Not Constantinople)" by They Might Be Giants, and "Becase the Night" by 10,000 Maniacs.
Cat Power just came out with a cover album, though I think it's standards. "New York, New York" was kinda cool.
I think what we did before Youtube was wait for Youtube. We just didn't know we were doing that.
I like Ryan Adams for Wonderwall. But I like Ryan Adams for everything, so.
Sixpence none the richer's cover of the La's song "There she goes"
Echo and the bunny men's cover of The Door's "People are Strange"
And I really love Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt as well.
I believe it was released before she died, since he died 4 months after she did.
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Aaron, sometimes I see something on YouTube that makes me think of all the fun we could have had with it in college. Grade-wise, though, maybe it was for the best.
Oooh, I just remembered...pretty much all of the film Moulin Rouge...
Your Song
Smells like Teen Spirit
lots of fun stuff there. :)
Cathy--Thanks. I forgot. :)
What a fun post! I LOVE LOVE LOVE covers, so here are some of my faves:
Smashing Pumpkins singing Landslide
Give a Little Bit (originally by Supertramp) remade by Goo Goo Dolls
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away by Eddie Vedder
An interesting follow-up post would be the best covered songs...like Ring of Fire, for example.
Thanks great bblog
Interessting thoughts
Post a Comment
<< Home