Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Missouri Election Day

This morning I was having trouble sleeping, so I got up and went to the polls at 6:10. Despite my pre-caffeinated state, I felt a pleasant civic buzz as I stood in line with other sleepy voters.


Tom and I couldn't figure out a good way to take Ben to the polls with us today, so last night, during our bedtime routine of talking about what we're looking forward to the next day, I said I was looking forward to voting. I explained that voting was a special thing people did to help choose our leaders. Ben declared he wanted to vote, and he became angry when I told him that 3 1/2-year-olds are not allowed to. Evidently, 14 1/2 years is just too long to wait.


Ben's indignation reminded me of my first election memory: going with my mom to the polls in the 1980 presidential election. I told her I thought she should vote for Ronald McDonald, and I couldn't understand why she was going to choose the other guy.


As we wait for the election results to come in from all the Super Tuesday states (did you know Huckabee won West Virginia?) you can watch a funny video of candidates singing David Bowie here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home