Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Sad


I asked my husband recently if he thought I was too obsessed with my blog. He replied that he thought my relationship with my blog was fine, as long as I wasn't using it to avoid my feelings about moving. (Did I mention he's a psychologist? His EQ is way higher than mine.) So here goes: a big festering mass of feelings.

I feel sad.

In beginning fiction classes, they always tell you "Show, don't tell." So instead of saying "I feel sad," I'm supposed to describe myself sobbing, or at least delicately wiping away a tear as I page through a photo album. But if you're a feeling-phobe like me, you'll happily go to any descriptive lengths to avoid writing "I feel sad." Naming your feelings and sitting with them is the hard part.

I am sad that I left my friends behind in Pennsylvania. I am sad that I can't share lunch and shopping with Katie in Plymouth Meeting once a month. I am sad my other college friends and I can't get together as a group at Katie's house and sit around talking. I am sad that when I'm having a bad day, I can't pack up the baby and head over to Kaela's house for cookies and coffee. I'm sad that we won't go apple picking with Kaela, Mike, and Antje this fall. I am miserable that I won't get to see Antje grow up.

I am sad that we moved Ben 900 miles away from his grandparents, aunt, and uncles. It breaks my heart to think he'll only see my parents a few times a year. I am sad for us that Uncle Jay or Aunt Beth can't babysit for a few hours on a weekend any more, and I'm sad for them that they've already missed so many of Ben's changes. When my brother Trey visited a week ago, Ben gave him hugs and learned to say "Uncle." It makes me sad to think how few opportunities he'll have to use that word.

I am sad that my familiar life in Philadelphia is gone. I will never again see the crossing guard I said hi to every morning. We are no longer members of the food co-op. My ballet class will go on without me. We will most likely never go back to most of our favorite restaurants. I don't even know what my old book club is reading this month. All of this makes me sad.

My mother has a hard time with negative emotions, and I think it's her training that makes me want to discount what I've just written, or explain why things aren't that bad. (After all, my husband got a great new job! We bought a house!) But I'm still learning that in order to appreciate the positive, I also have to acknowledge the negative. So for now, I'll just type I am sad and stop there.


Photo by Phil H on flickr.com.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

OMG...My mother has a hard time with negative emotions too! I am just surprised at how similar our "takes" on life are. I am so sorry you are sad. Having moved over 12 times in my early life, I can tell you that it takes a year. After a year, you will be feeling like you are re-rooting. You have been transplanted, it's understandable. At times like this, I think of my mother's needlepoint piece someone gave her as we headed off on yet another move: Bloom Where You Are Planted. Doesn't it make you want to BURN that needlepoint message??? UHG! BLOOM! I can't even just SURVIVE!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Tess,
I am sorry you are having a hard time in St. Louis. When I moved to the country from the city, I too felt a sense of loss. People choose not to visit because it is too far away. Ummm, 25 miles and a 40 minute drive is not the next state over. But, they are used to the 10 minute drive to anywhere. I am hoping to make some friends in "this here small town" and I know you will make some great friends in St. Louis. :) But I know it just isn't the same as "home".

8:17 AM  
Blogger Kaela said...

Oh man! Now I'm sad, too! Execpt for me the sadness crops up slowly, since my daily life looks the same, it's just when I think, Tess would appreciate THAT, that I'll realize she's nowhere around.

It's also her fault that I'm double sad. Not only do I miss her and the things she said and thinks, but I miss the traditions she established. I didn't grow up with a set of traditions. She introduced me to the idea that you could do something anually with the same people and then you got to happily anticipate it all year.

Now one of the times is looming (apple picking) and I've just been trying to aviod thinking about it. Fall feels a little hollow this year.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Tess,
I think you are very brave to move that far from all the familiar things you know. I lived in the same area for 30+ years. Two years ago I move 25 miles from there to a little town with a more relaxed lifestyle. I am still adjusting. I feel so far from home. It's less than an hour to home, but it might as well be 900 miles. No advice, just wanted you to know that I feel the same way somedays

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home