Balloon Race

Yesterday we went to the balloon race in Forest Park. Because there was only light wind, the race was not as dramatic as it had been in recent years, and the race took place completely within the park.
We (okay, I) underestimated the hassle that parking would be. We ended up parking far away and walking briskly through the park. Luckily, the race started a little bit late and we didn't miss anything.
First, the Energizer Bunny balloon, the largest hot air balloon in the U.S., took off.
Then the other balloons inflated.
Soon they took to the sky and raced after the bunny, trying to be the first to drop a bean bag where the bunny landed.Ben learned a new word: sky.

There were balloons in beautiful colors, and balloons shaped like a Pepsi can, a can of dog food, and a box of popcorn.

I remember growing up in Illinois and seeing hot air balloons often. I especially liked the Garcia's Pizza balloon, which was shaped like a giant tomato.

Some of the balloons passed directly overhead, and we could see people waving from the baskets.


When the balloons were all in the sky, they looked quite small.
Ben was interested in everything: the balloons, the people, the dogs, and his cup of lemonade.

I'm looking forward to going again next year. Lessons learned: get there early and bring a picnic.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
3 Comments:
I ADORE those pictures! They are really spectacular!!
WHAT FUN! I'm jealous and hubby and Ben are adorable! What a cute family you all make...
Hh
I miss seeing hot air balloons in Chicago, not too much of that down here in Atlanta.
Post a Comment
<< Home