Bush's Big Decisions
Due to death of Chief Justice William Rehnquist Saturday night, George Bush will now choose at least two justices for the Supreme Court. The senators will ask their questions and decide whether to vote for confirmation. At this point, there isn't much that concerned citizens can do.
The American people made our decision last November. I still remember the excitement in the air on Election Day. Tom and I went to vote early, with Ben in the Baby Bjorn. People in line were relaxed and friendly. Later that day, I walked Ben around the neighborhood in the stroller in hopes that he could feel the excitement: the lines at the polling places, the yard signs, the woman who danced on the street corner with a Kerry/Edwards sign and grinned whenever a car honked.
But Philadelphia, which went over 80% for Kerry, did not represent the nation on Election Day. In the days that followed, I sank into gloom. This time, the American people had clearly chosen. They had endorsed Bush's war in Iraq. They had seconded Bush's blatant disregard for science. They had chosen Bush to make any Supreme Court nominations over the next four years. I was numb.
And here we are. The Supreme Court will decide cases that affect American life for decades, and there's not much I can do. I hope that Bush will pick thoughtful, intelligent people who, once on the bench, will not be bound by partisan politics.
We all made our choices last November, and now we are living with the consequences.
The American people made our decision last November. I still remember the excitement in the air on Election Day. Tom and I went to vote early, with Ben in the Baby Bjorn. People in line were relaxed and friendly. Later that day, I walked Ben around the neighborhood in the stroller in hopes that he could feel the excitement: the lines at the polling places, the yard signs, the woman who danced on the street corner with a Kerry/Edwards sign and grinned whenever a car honked.
But Philadelphia, which went over 80% for Kerry, did not represent the nation on Election Day. In the days that followed, I sank into gloom. This time, the American people had clearly chosen. They had endorsed Bush's war in Iraq. They had seconded Bush's blatant disregard for science. They had chosen Bush to make any Supreme Court nominations over the next four years. I was numb.
And here we are. The Supreme Court will decide cases that affect American life for decades, and there's not much I can do. I hope that Bush will pick thoughtful, intelligent people who, once on the bench, will not be bound by partisan politics.
We all made our choices last November, and now we are living with the consequences.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
2 Comments:
My husband was talking to a young college student (who had obviously slept through his government class in high school) about the Supreme Court. The kid was so confused - what do you mean that the rulings of the Court stand? What then? Well, kid, there is no "what then." Buck stops there. The realization on that kid's face was worth a photo - just couldn't come to understand how so much authority could rest with nine people. Hopefully the punk will learn something and vote appropriately next time, but I doubt it.
I think I should post about all of this on my blog as Reason #2 why we'll be homeschooling. No offense to anyone's religion, but I'd rather spend the time teaching the girls evolution than have to attend every PTA and board meeting to keep creationism out of science classes. Thx Bush.
And, yes, we shared the same sense of optimism on election day. I went to vote at 6:30 in the morning. But we were in Ohio, and I'm sure you saw the reports about what went on there. Eventually we sank into dread and acceptance of dread, just like the morning after the elction in 2000. Ick. Made me queasy. I didn't think it could happen again, but it did. Now we get what we get...
The first thing I thought when I saw the headline that Chief Justice Rehnquist had died was, 'FINALLY." That reaction surprised me; until that moment I didn't realize how annoyed I was that he didn't resign when he became so sick.
I didn't think it was fair to be so compromised and continue to hold such a powerful position. I thought his ego must have been stupendous for him to think that was a good idea.
As it turns out, it was a bad Idea for him to hold on to it, and lead people to believe that he wasn't dying. Sandra Day O'Connor wouldn't have stepped down if she knew he was going to leave a vacancy so soon. I'm so disgusted.
Post a Comment
<< Home