Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Blogroll, Please (or, how I learned to embrace cyberbalkanization)


I have finally gotten around to adding a blogroll (see lower left). It's only a partial list; I'll be adding more soon.

Because I started blogging after reading about it on my Babycenter Birth Board, it's no surprise that mothering blogs predominate my blogroll. Kiki, Mel, Aerin, Natalie, Shekky, and Heather are all May 2004 moms. Salome's Corner and Open Switch I found through comments on Kiki's blog. City Mouse was my favorite blog I found by hitting the "Next Blog" button. I discovered Milliner's Dream when I did a Technorati search to see who else blogged about Emily Dickinson after the hurricane. Her blog led me to Ann Douglas's; I've been a fan of Ann's since I read The Mother of All Pregnancy Books obsessively during my pregnancy. Lumpenlogocracy is a group blog, and a friend of mine (Christian_Left) is a contributor.

I was psyched when Ben of Open Switch added me to his blogroll. It tickles me no end to be on the same list as Ann Coulter (right after her, no less). But my surprise at his list led me to reflect on how similar a lot of the blogs I read are.

In Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community (a fabulous, exhaustively researched book), Robert D. Putnam writes about the threat of "cyberbalkanization":
The Internet enables us to confine our communication to people who share precisely our interests. . . . That powerful specialization is one of the medium's great attractions, but also one of its subtler threats to bridging social capital. . . . Real-world interactions often force us to deal with diversity, whereas the virtual world may be more homogenous, not necessarily in demographic terms, but in terms of interest and outlook.
With the Internet in general and blog-reading in particular, it's comfortable to seek out people with similar perspectives. It's a lot like sitting at the same lunch table every day in high school. I have met a lot of mothers on bulletin boards and blogs, but not very many veterans or football fans. (Of course, I'm sure blogger demographics are skewed towards younger people with comparatively high socioeconomic status, so there's already a built-in bias.)

Putnam goes on to say that in the early years of the Internet (he was writing in 2000), it was hard to tell whether the Internet would be a medium like the telephone, which can encourage civic involvement and social interaction, or a medium like the television, which encourages passive consumption of content. From what I've seen so far, blogging is active. First the bloggers put their thoughts on the screen, and then readers weigh in with their comments. In that way, we're creating small new communities.

But yes, the e-world is segregated. So challenge me. Suggest a blog that you like (no porn or intense violence, please) that seems different from mine, and I'll go take a look.


Photo by merialc on flickr.com.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

Um. All the blogs I would recommend are already on my blogroll.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Tess said...

Okay, I went and read Ann Coulter for a while. She certainly is good with the one-liners.

Tess

11:49 AM  
Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

OK...I love this post. Cyberbalkanization makes so much sense. I am not sure if I am afraid of it or if I embrace. Where else could I have met so many people obsessed with grammar AND who have 16 month old kiddos AND who are obsessed with the blogsphere. That's pretty durn specific.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Great post!

I posted back on your comment on mine. I can't find an e-mail to you to send it directly.

Hh

4:49 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Tess: Yeah, though both her and I are conservative I would say she's definitely more extreme than I am. And she really hits below the belt many times. I don't like her for that.

Hh: I love email. It can be more personal. But I also love it when people leave comments on my blog. It sorta makes it more condusive to discussion which is what I thrive on. If you need my address it's on the bottom of my blog. I put it there for two reasons. First, this way not just anyone would be able to get it, they'd have to read my blog to find it. Second, spam bots are really good at harvesting addresses on sites, hence the frotzed (at) gmail (dot) com. They can't recognize that.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Sorry to hijack the comments, Tess. :)

Yes, Ben. I wanted, for example, to send a copy of my comment response to Tess, although it was there in my blog's comments. I can't always do this, or don't necessarily always need/want to...but occasionally, as Tess did, she commented so powerfully that I wanted to let her know my response and thank her.

I actually prefer the comments (and an e-mail, too is great), too.

I love the discussion that ensues, definitely!

Hh

11:07 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Tess,

What fun finding blogs through other folks and seeing what they enjoy, the bloggers they know personally, etc.

I've now found Ben's blog and Lumpenlogocracy through you!

Love the term, cyberbalkanization, too.

Hh

7:54 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

Yeah, Hh. I've only been doing this blogging thing for a few months now and it has become my new addiction, well, besides coffee. I love finding new people who have so much to say.

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home