Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Grandparents' Day

Grandma Jean and Ben last summer


Grandparents' Day has always struck me as one of those holidays Hallmark made up for the purpose of selling cards. But this Grandparents' Day stuck out to me because it falls on such a sad day. Instead of reflecting on the terrorist attacks of four years ago, I decided to think about grandparents.

Our relationships with our grandparents can be a chance to heal a family. Because we've skipped a generation, we avoid many of the destructive patterns parents and children fall into. Before Ben was born, my father-in-law closed one email poignantly by saying he was hoping to be a better grandparent than he was a parent. I love seeing my parents and parents-in-law with Ben because I can clearly see how happy this little boy has made them.

Relationships with grandparents are bittersweet, though; they are the first experience most of us have with aging and death. Grandpa Bob died of a heart attack when I was two. I was the only one of his ten grandchildren he met. He made me a lovely wooden doll house. A few years ago on Christmas Eve, my dad spoke of how much Grandpa Bob would have loved being around so many young people at Christmas. We have pictures of him dressed as Santa Claus.

Granddaddy Joe passed away last January at age 95. My mom remembers him as a stubborn, domineering man, but age softened him into a more open, curious person. I never knew him well because he lived in California, on the other coast. When I visited him two years ago, he kept manila folders for clippings about current events. I asked him questions about his childhood growing up on a ranch and took notes to try to keep his memories alive.

I spoke to Grandma Jean today. She had no idea it was Grandparents' Day, but she was happy to hear from me, and she caught me up on all the family gossip. In her eighties, she remains chipper and lives in a retirement community near my parents. Like her father before her, she has developed macular degeneration and has trouble seeing all but the most stark images. Last year, I tried to get her to talk about her feelings about going blind, but all she would say is, "It came on quickly."

Grandmother Dorothy, living with my aunt and uncle in California, is healthy physically but not mentally. When I visited two years ago, she didn't know me. She spoke of dancing with Liberace, of searching for gold in the hills. She thought she might be pregnant. We have a series of pictures she took when she was dating my grandfather. He asked how she spent her evenings, and she used the timer on her camera to take a series of shots: her drinking tea in the bubble bath, toweling off, brushing her hair, reading in bed. Now both the brash young woman and the man she wanted to impress are gone.

When you have a child, you see that the constellations of relationships aren't fixed; they shift with every generation. When Ben was born, he created four new grandparents. My mom jokes uneasily about whether her mother's craziness is hereditary. My dad doesn't talk about how his father died at just his age. Tom hopes they find a cure for Alzheimer's before we get old. I wonder how it would feel to lose touch with reality, or not to be able to read.

I thought writing about Grandparents' Day would be a relief from the sadness of September 11, but it's not. Life keeps moving and changing, even when we're not noticing. Someday, if this holiday is still around, I may get a card from a grandchild. Depending on how my genes and environment have interacted, I may not be able to read or understand that card. Relationships with grandparents show the young and the old reaching out to each other, moving backward and forward through time. There's beauty in that motion, but also a deep sadness.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

WOW...I loved that post. Very poignant. I loved this line especially:

When you have a child, you see that the constellations of relationships aren't fixed

6:39 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Amen, kikigill. Well written. It choked me up.

7:20 AM  
Blogger SAS said...

It's a lovely post.

I didn't have a close relationship with any of my grandparents. My one remaining grandmother is not the warmest person, and generally distances herself from the world. Her husband was angry all the time and hated music. The other two died before I was born.

I think part of the reason I want to have kids is because I know my parents would be unbelievable grandparents. They were pretty wonderful parents.

My current beau watched both his mother and father die several years ago. I think sometimes, if we ever had kids, would they miss having that set of grandparents?

But I didn't really miss it. I think you don't really know you are missing something unless someone tells you that you are. As long as there are people around to fill in those needs, the loss is not that profound.

I think.

And I am totally stealing your political lightbulb jokes.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home