Back to School

The Tuesday after Labor Day still means back-to-school for me. Growing up in central Pennsylvania, I always started school the day after Labor Day. I remember new notebooks, a new backpack, and sweaters from J.C. Penney that were tucked away in a drawer in anticipation of cooler weather. Even though I enjoyed lazy summer days playing in the woods behind my house, watching game shows, and reading, I was the kind of student excited to meet new teachers and learn new things. Each fall, I had a fresh start.
In college, I continued to follow the rhythms of school, moving into my dorm in mid-August and finishing for the year in May. In grad school we were on a trimester system and we didn't start until early October, but it was the same fall feeling. My first job after graduation was teaching high school English. Each August, I enjoyed setting up my classroom in jittery anticipation of new students and activities. I still have the occasional dream that it's the first day and I haven't developed my syllabus or read the right books.
The first year I had a nonacademic job, I grew edgy once July rolled around. Why was I still in my cubicle? Was I really supposed to be satisfied with a paltry week off? Did being a grownup really mean giving up summer vacation forever?
Now that I'm a hybrid self-employed-stay-at-home mom, the ebb and flow of the school year doesn't really affect my life. When Tom's semester started last week and he taught his first classes and went to his meetings, I felt jealous and wondered if wanting the back-to-school feeling was reason enough to go back to grad school.
In four more years, of course, I'll be the one buying school supplies. I'll be one of those parents trying to hide tears as my baby goes off to kindergarten. In five or six more years, I could be one of those parents inwardly rejoicing to have a quiet house again.
Now that I'm not part of an academic community, I miss the fresh start, the new subjects and new clothes and clean backpack. Yes, "real life" affords us opportunities to start anew, but I miss the camaraderie of being with peers who are sharing my experiences.
Good luck to all the students, teachers, and administrators. Enjoy your new year.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
3 Comments:
I just bought myself tons of office supplies (a poor substitute for school supplies, let me tell you!)
Thanks so much for popping over to my blog to introduce yourself -- and for your great additions to the thread on crazy article ideas. I totally loved the nursing position ones. TOO FUNNY!!!
And thanks for your kind words about my pregnancy book.
Ann D
http://anndouglas.blogspot.com
The Mother of All Blogs
Another good post...!
Oh Tess, I'm with ya sweetie! *SIGH* I totally feel that fall feeling myself. I took Aaron to his first day of Kids day out today, so I sorta have a small glimpse of going back to school, allbeit living vicariously through him! Maybe one day I'll get back to grad school as well.
A
Post a Comment
<< Home