Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Arch Pictures


Today's photo essay features the inspiration for this blog's title: the St. Louis Gateway Arch. My sister-in-law was visiting from Pennsylvania, so we played tourist yesterday and went downtown.

At its base, the arch is solid and wide,


but it soars overhead and looks thin.


We saw it from different angles:










While we waited for Aunt Beth and her friend to come back down, Ben and I played around the base.




Finally, I got Tom to take some artsy shots of me with the arch, including my new profile picture. My old picture, taken by my friend Kaela, was a black-and-white shot of me on the Ben Franklin Parkway celebrating the 4th of July 2004 in Philadelphia. I've decided it's time to finally admit to myself that I am now living West of the Mississippi, so from now on, Arch Words will have a properly Midwestern picture of me.



Tune in next week, when my brother comes to town and I take my claustrophobic, acrophobic self up in a cramped elevator to see the view from inside the arch.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures. I like this profile photo better than your other one.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Tess said...

Shut up!

Mike's just making fun of me because of the time I was afraid to climb a rickety tower in the woods in Germany. I swear it was rickety, even if the pictures don't show it.

Tess

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!

1:41 PM  
Blogger Shekky said...

What is a blog titled Arch Words without pictures of THE ARCH?

6:12 PM  
Blogger Precie said...

Great pics! Good luck with the ride up the arch!

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home