Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Why Ben Doesn't Go to Gymboree Classes

Readers, I am angry at Gymboree. No, not for their overpriced children's clothes; I'm upset at the company for two reasons: 1) They have run a series of ads for their classes that I find offensive, and 2) despite my repeated attempts to contact them via email, no one from the national office has responded to my complaint.

First, here's a letter I wrote to the local biweekly newspaper about the ad Gymboree ran:

Dear Editor:

I am concerned by the Gymboree ads that have been running in the Webster-Kirkwood Times. Today’s ad has a picture of an infant and reads, “Of course, you want her to be normal. Only these days, normal plays the violin by age 7 and has a 4.3 GPA.”

This ad and the one in last week's paper prey on parents’ fears that their children might fall behind others. The implication is that Gymboree classes are necessary for a child to be “normal.” The ads do not describe the positive aspects of Gymboree classes, but instead try to make parents afraid NOT to take their children to Gymboree.

When I taught high school, I was sad to see the pressure students put on themselves and felt from their parents. It sickens me to see Gymboree helping create a climate where this pressure to achieve starts in infancy. Those ads encourage parents to see their children's peers as competitors, not potential friends.

Parents who are interested in finding out what is necessary for their children to be “normal” would do well to read Einstein Never Used Flash Cards: How Our Children Really Learn-- And Why They Need to Play More and Memorize Less by Kathy Hirsh-Pasek and her colleagues.

I am new to the area and was looking for a class to take with my 16-month-old son. Gymboree programs may provide a wonderful, nurturing experience, but thanks to these ads, I'll never know. I plan to enroll in a class at the local Y. In the future, I hope Gymboree will think more carefully about the messages they send to parents.

Sincerely,

Tess Thompson


I sent a similar letter to the local Gymboree franchise, and copied Gymboree headquarters. The woman who owns the local franchise sent me a kind email, inviting me to take a free class and expaining the ads were sent to them by headquarters. She said she would no longer use the violin ad, but that she needed to use the other ones.

So the real answer needed to come from headquarters. I emailed them on August 19, and received a reply back the same day, stating, "We will gladly pass your feedback onto the respective parties for further review and consideration." Hearing no further response, I followed up on September 13. A week later, someone named Liz, with the humorous email address of playandmusic_escalation@gymboree.com, assured me, "Your concerns have been email to the appropriate parties who will contact you by email within 48 hours." Now, I don't think Liz was deliberately lying to me, but 120 hours later, I'm still waiting for a response.

I thought Gymboree might have been interested to know that their ads had alienated a member of their target audience. At the time, I was actively seeking a class to take with Ben, and their ads convinced me NOT to go to Gymboree. Now, though, I'm angry because Gymboree headquarters told me they would respond, and they haven't. That's just bad customer service.

So if any of you are offended by the ads (or just bored at work), join in my campaign. You can either email playandmusic_escalation@gymboree.com or use their form here. If they ever provide me a justification for their ads--or even a response--I'll post it in a comment here. Meanwhile, Ben is enjoying his class at the Y, and I'm glad we supported an organization that shares our values.

25 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

That really ticks me off! What the heck, "normal" is playing the violin by 7? You touched on a nerve that is very near the surface of my beliefs of parenting. I think it is dead wrong for parents to trade in their children's playtime for "school time" at such a young age. Study upon study has proven (or at least strongly suggested) that children mature and develop best during play. That their play is the way they learn at that age. You've convicted me to check into any pre-school I put Thomas into. Wow, good post.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Kaela said...

Gymboree always stunk of parental fear to me, and that's why I've kept my daughter away from them. I couldn't put my finger on why until you wrote that post. I hadn't even seen those ads, but they verified my misgivings about Gymboree.

Thanks for going to all that effort, Tess.

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A well-articulated diatribe againt a company I've never liked. My reasoning was the wretched customer service in both their stores and their activity centers, but had I not been disgusted with them before, I would certainly be now. My children will never wear Gymboree clothes nor take a Gymboree class.

I do, wish, though, that Oscar was close enough to go to class at the Y with Ben!!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Kudos to you. Too often we (I?) find ourselves miffed and do nothing about it--don't complain, don't make our voice heard, don't try to make changes. If we don't nothing will.

Hh

7:41 AM  
Blogger tom said...

their marketing is worse than offensive. it's evil. seriously. according to dictionary.com, the first and second definitions for evil are:

1. Morally bad or wrong; wicked: an evil tyrant.
2. Causing ruin, injury, or pain; harmful: the evil effects of a poor diet.

i would argue that the ads are evil because they purposefully cause pain, and are therefore morally wrong. the ad provides no positive context for the program: it's not that it's fun, or pleasant, or rewarding. humans are motivated by pursuit of pleasure and avoidance of pain (as ad people know very well), so if the ads are not hitting one angle, they're hitting the other: the ad will motivate parents to go to a class through fear of punishment/anxiety: if i don't do this, my kid won't develop well.

further, as already noted by folks here, there is absolutely no bloody reason to believe that going or not going to this class will make any difference at all to any kid. ever. period. they are "humorously" (but who's laughing?) making a connection between actual research and their class, when *there* *is* *no* *connection*. they can get away with making this connection by claiming it is over the top and obviously meant in jest, but if the connection is not meant, *why* *make* *it*?

further, why not do *actual* research and see what positive effects their classes might have? they may very well have positive effects that can be quantified, but the ads tell us nothing about that.

so what are we left with? an ad that purposefully implies "humorously" something that is patently false, in an attempt to scare parents into taking certain actions for wrong reasons. it's evil. a casual, thoughtless evil, surely, but it's still evil.

and i am tired, so very tired, of huge corporations committing this kind of evil, while simultaneously trying to pretend they are our friends. it's one or the other. be our friends, or be evil.

8:42 AM  
Blogger aangelgoddess said...

I have yet to take ANY classes of any kind on the long parenting road with my kids and they have all been bright and learned at their own rate. My oldest has always been an "A" "B" honor roll student. Her intelligence and general brilliance has always been remarked on by all who meet her. What's my secret? I let her play and be a kid. That's what my mom did with me, and that's what I plan to continue to do with my the rest of my kids. I think Gymboree is a joke in addition to being overpriced purveyors of bad customer service and peddlers in parental fear. I hope your crusade shakes them up Tess!!

8:46 AM  
Blogger Kellee said...

Bravo, Tess!!!!!!! I am so proud of you!!! How dare those corporate "effs" insult us by insinuating a child not taking a Gymboree class is an idiot.

I'm now very proud to say that neither of my children have taken a Gymboree class. I knew there was something very "Stepfordish" about them. Preying on the "be like everyone else" motto (i.e. weak minded).

Please keep us updated!

9:12 AM  
Blogger Natalie said...

I have always felt that Gymboree and Baby Einstein both have prayed on parents fears of having a child that can't keep up with the demands of the world. They do it for one simple reason... CASH! Fear based advertising. gotta love it.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

Makes me think that they are using scare tactics to drive folks to their classes...as if we don't have a brain...This isn't Hamlin...no pied piper is going to lure us to go to any evil Gymboree classes. I prefer hunting acorns in the back yard and painting with water on the concrete. If that makes me "abnormal" it only confirms what I always knew...I am weird...I love myself that way. Thanks for the education. I didn't see those ads myself. I really don't like Gymbo clothes either.

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be honest, I think it was meant to be extreme, over the top, somewhat funny. I really don't take it seriously. Everyone should parent the way they want and not worry about what other people think. You all are stressing yourselves out too much by an ad that was meant to be funny.

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously you all need to step back into reality... it is just an ad. I take my son to gymboree and he has a blast and there is absolutely NO pressure - as they also advertise it is music and playtime - everyone that goes to our class are very happy and seem like normal children to me who are all playing at their own pace. Quit stressing so much and join the things that make you happy.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Tess said...

The last two anonymous comments brought me back to this 2-year-old post.... This post must come up when people search for Gymboree classes.

It's kind of funny to get another comment today, because we just got back from Ben's weekly Y class, which he really enjoys. I have by no means been stressing about Gymboree for these past 2 years, and we do join things that make us happy. I'm sure that other parents and kids have been made equally happy by their Gymboree classes, and that's great.

At the same time, in the university class I'm taking, we're talking a lot about social norms and advertising, and those discussions make me completely stand by the fact that I saw an ad I found offensive and then communicated with the public and the company about it. I make no apologies for taking parenting seriously. I don't want my child to grow up in a world where competitive parenting is "normal" and companies try to prey on parental fears.

Other people may not be bothered by that message, or may choose to ignore it, and that's fine. Other people may have different things they care more about. Ultimately, we're all responsible for choosing issues to take a stand on so we can create the kind of world we want for our children.

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if all the Gymboree franchises do this, but the Ocean Township, NJ location pays their employees a $10 bonus for every parent that enrolls a child after the free preview class (which is fantastic) and takes $10 away for every parent that decides Gymboree is not for their child (this seems illegal).

2:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I intend to take my child to see if he likes it...and then make my decision.

To make a decision about my childs future on an ad I dont like sounds very foolish to me.

Sometimes we try so hard to non-conform we end up doing what everyone else is doing, conforming.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Blogger said...

I have a four month old baby and I'm from a society of parents who really pushes their kids to be the best, sending them to various enrichment classes at a very young age. Either I'm not well-versed in all these programs or that I just cannot be bothered, but I'm really not that convinced that they must all go through those flash cards system, various music and drama classes, etc. Maybe I'm a big kid myself, but I would really want my kid to have lots of FUN TIME at a young age. Love your post!!!

www.isaac-khng.blogspot.com

1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a nanny/preschool teacher with education in human development. I'm thinking of starting a child and family development center that offers classes for children and parents and a great open space to just play and be kids. I am wondering what you (and the rest of the people commenting) would want to see most in something like this. I really want it to be something that parents want and feel supported by. You can email me at dawntinted_tears@hotmail.com

Thanks!

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI,
I was searching for gymboree classes and came across this. I think everyone should do what's right for them. However, I will say taht I enrolled my daughter in a Music Together class at 12m because she was very isolated at home with me and we dont' know many other little kids. At that point she wasn't walking so she couldn't keep up at the playground. Music Together allowed her to interact with other kids. We are music teachers so we loved that she was in a room full of people enjoying music. The focus is not on turning kids into musicians or teaching them to do anything,just on enjoying the music and enjoying making it. As music teachers we can certainly do this at home (as can non musicians) however, I cannot create the atmosphere of community music making that she has grown to love. Its true that her musical development is not ahead (again I know this as a teacher of music) but that wan't my goal.
That ad sounds silly, but I think that is a reflection of the corporation and not an indvidually owned franchinse by what could be a wonderful person. My daughter has recently shown quite the interest in art and so we are thinking of switching from music to Gymboree Art classes so she can explore her new interests in a social enviornment. I'm not trying to create a Picasso or anything.
I think those that are critical of parents who take their kids to classes - assuming they are out to create a genius (when really they just want to get out of the hosue and see another adult) are just as silly as those who think their kid needs to play violin at age 7.

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

small edit - I meant to say that her musical development IS ahead. We are finding that an interesting nature vs. nurture thing right now...is it because its in her genes or because of all she's been exposed to (like hearing 10 or so voice lessons taught a week in her living room) or neither.

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always found gymboree a great place to have fun and meet new friends. I've never been under the illusion that children are expected to learn anything that is not age appropriate. People should only be judging if they have tried the classes all the kids in the class have a great time, its' the kids that sit in front of the TV for hours eating that we should worry about.

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think that the original comment made by Tess was an attack on the actual structure or activities that the children take part in during a Gymboree class. I think that Tess was making a really good point about parents' true intentions when they sign their children up for structured activies. Tess, I believe, had a problem with the pressure put on parents to enroll their children in classes in order to formerly learn things. The issue is about the over obsession with school readiness and how companies are using this as a marketing tool.
As a former kindergarten teacher and now stay at home mother of a one year old child, I think the ad is ridiculous. But I am also in the process of looking for something for my son and I to join so that we can leave the house and meet other children and moms. I know what my intentions are, so I will not be pressured or get confused. We all need to do what is right for us, and we all need to become active and speak up when we are faced with something that doesn't feel right. Good for you Tess!

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to take my 17 month old son to his first Gymboree class tomorrow. It's free so I thought it would be fun for him. I doubt that we'll sign up for a paid membership though. My wife and I just want him to experience something new and different. We definitely don't feel pressured to have him be a genius or even extraordinarily gifted. He seems to be advancing at a good pace on his own. I think any child can grow up "smart" by reading to them often, giving them plenty of exercise and play, and limiting their TV viewing. We did buy him picture flash cards though and he loves them and always asks for them. I haven't seen the Gymboree ad, but it sounds like a try at humor rather than seriously scaring parents into thinking their kids are idiots. In the end, you should do what you think is right for your child, not what corporate ad executives tell you to do.

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am considering opening a Gymboree and am interested about the public's opinion about the company. Tess, in respose to your attempts to contact the company, I have also attempted to contact other organizations with concerns and have never received a reply anything more than "Thank you. We will take your concerns into consideration..." This reply seems to be a standard in big business. No one I know has the job of replyig to these emails. However, I think advertising is meant to cause reaction and create attention which is has but unfortunately in this circumstance it caused the opposite of what was intended. I'm glad to see some positive comments about the company regardless of their advertising techniques.

I find myself in a community where there is little to nothing available for children under 5 outside the home. As a parent of an only child and with little famliy around I would like to see a place for parents to take their little ones even if it is just to get out of the house and talk to other grown ups, share experiences and expose the kids to activity and interaction. The other kids in my neighborhood are teenagers and so there are no playmates readily available at the playgrounds. The concept of Gymboree interests me.

Your thoughts?

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Diana said...

I'm somewhat fascinated by this whole discussion on your blog. My daughter attended gymboree classes for almost a year until it recently closed in our area and we both loved it. I think it's a great place for kids to let loose and for parents to meet each other. But in all honesty, the ad they chose to run does sound ridiculous and they should have responded to a complaint about it.

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is years old but I just found it when I started looking up gymboree info. Thanks for posting. What a silly ad! We still might take a class (looking for developmental things with my 16 mo old), but I will also be looking into the book you posted. Thanks so much!

-Amber

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enroll my dauther in gymboree classes. We had a free trial for play and learn class and I think the structure of the class for 2 years old was a chaos, kids was runing around all over the classroom and I dont think they know what was the target, they go up and down in a very small structure (stair, tunel,etc) and doing things that they can do with music and toys at home or in any playground. I was very unsatiesfied, but I decided to enroll her in the class anyway because she need to be around other kids. For two months she have been going to music class and know I think what smart and lucky is the company. They have people going to their class and those classe do not going to make kids learn any skill in compareson with karate, gymnastic or dance class, and again everything that they do can be done at home. you only need kid music and act the song, talk about what the song is saying to increase their vocabulary, you really do not need to much knowledge.

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home