Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Monday, October 31, 2005

Suddenly, I Miss Harriet Miers....

On Halloween, a scary announcement: Bush has nominated Samuel Alito to the Supreme Court. Alito, nicknamed "Scalito" thanks to his far-right beliefs, faces an all-out battle to be confirmed.

With the Miers nomination, I was entertained by watching the conservatives squabble among themselves, and I was heartened to see that the intellectual wing of the conservative party has grown increasingly disillusioned with the President and his policies. (While I don't necessarily agree with the intellectual conservatives, I do sympathize with them, and they're fun to argue with.) Now, however, I'm not especially excited to watch the left and right fight each other with rhetoric and soundbites. I have a fatalistic feeling that this nominee, or one like him, will be confirmed, and there's not much we can do about it now.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny: I thought the same thing. It's pretty bad when you started longing for the good ol' days of pure, rampant cronyism.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

I am not a very political person. I am aware of issues, I know what I believe and how that sways my views. I try to research and vote intelligently. I do this because I feel it is my duty. I am not terribly _interested_ in it all. I am also, overall, a fairly conservative person in many things. That said, I was embarrassed that President Bush nominated Ms. Miers. She seems like a nice person. She seems like a good lawyer. She seems like an accomplished woman.

Now I have to go back and see what's up, having just come home from school--and hearing of this on your blog.

Hh

4:41 PM  
Blogger Tess said...

Hannah--I've gotten the sense from reading your blog that you're on the conservative side, which is interesting to me. Most of the people I know who are interested in natural childbirth, and the people I know from the Pacific Northwest, tend to be fairly liberal. But then, most of the people I know tend to be fairly liberal, period.

6:13 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

I'm sort of similar to Hannah in regards to politics. I'm not terribly political but I know that what I believe really sways the way I vote. My problem is I don't know a whole lot about politics but I like to pretend that I do. More often than not, it gets me into trouble. That's why on my blog I try hard to stay away from politics.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home