Dispatches from the War on Christmas

I wasn't sure whether to write about this again today. After all, if one of my main arguments is that Christians should have better things to do than fight over Happy Holidays vs. Merry Christmas, then why talk about it?
But I decided that I don't want to cede religious discussion to the right. In doing so, people allow the religious right to frame the debate, and it becomes Conservative Christians vs. godlessness, the kind of oversimplified kind of Red State/Blue State dichotomy that was so prominent during the last presidential election. I think it's important to show that people of faith can have differing opinions. The bullying tone that Bill O'Reilly and company have been using lately scares me. I go to church. I celebrate Christmas. And Bill O'Reilly does not speak for me.
Last night, I decided to see if Jesus said anything that would shed light on the whole debate. (I'll warn you though that I only got through the book of Matthew.) At the risk of practicing theology without a license, here's a summary what Jesus told his followers that could be relevant:
Love your neighbor as yourself. Keep the commandments, and beyond that, sell what you have and give the money to the poor; but give Caesar that which is his. Don't pray loudly on street corners or do your good deeds to impress other people; at the same time, spread the gospel and don't deny Christ. Money changers and dove sellers in the temple are bad. Don't judge other people, and pray for your enemies.
From what I read, Jesus doesn't say much about how we should celebrate his birthday, and he definitely doesn't specifically comment on whether it's better to have a Holiday Tree trimmed in blue and silver or a Christmas Tree trimmed in red and green. People are supposed to spread the gospel, but I don't think getting Sears to display a "Merry Christmas" banner really counts. The admonition not to judge people, of course, is always a good reminder, and it calmed some of my indignant feelings.
After finding the following dispatches from this "war on Christmas," I'm not sure what to think. I'm curious to know what the conservatives who are fighting this war hope to accomplish. Are they hoping to convert people? Make corporations bow to a political force? Turn the U.S. into a theocracy? Honor Jesus?
Somehow, the Christmas message of love and hope and peace seems to be getting lost.
* * *
Knowing of the petitions circulating to make stores wish customers a Merry Christmas, I wrote to Target and Sears to let them know that not all of their customers agree.
* * *
My online friend Angel shares that the megachurch Without Walls International in Tampa near her has posted a giant banner that reads, "To HELL with the word Holiday, put the CHRIST back in Christmas." Um, wow. I wonder whom they consider their audience for that, and what their purpose is in posting it.
* * *
The New York Times and cnn.com report that several prominent megachurches will be closed on Christmas Sunday, and some conservative Christians are upset. I don't attend a megachurch and I doubt I ever will, so far be it from me to tell them when they should be open or closed. I was intrigued, however, by the person who commented that her church needs 500 volunteers in order to hold a service. Having been Quaker for a long time, I got used to the idea that all you need for worship is a few people gathered in His name and possibly some uncomfortable benches. Needing that many volunteers in order to worship is a foreign concept to me.
* * *
Salon.com reports that, for Bill O'Reilly, Christmas is a "chance to wage an us-vs.-them cultural war." Michael Lerner discusses whether O'Reilly veers into anti-Semitism, and suggests that perhaps something is missing from Christmas:
Lerner suggests liberals would be making a serious mistake if they failed to acknowledge the real sense that the spiritual side of Christmas is being undermined in American culture. He says Jews, progressives and secularists aren't the real Grinches, but rather the material-obsessed marketplace. "It's turning the symbolic values of Christmas into an excuse to convince people to buy and buy and buy," he says. "Christians are right to feel spiritual values are under assault; they are responding to a very real problem. But secularists are not to blame."Amen!
* * *
Media Matters reports that Bill O'Reilly shared the following thoughts during this advent season:
On the December 2 broadcast of Fox News' The Radio Factor with Bill O'Reilly, host Bill O'Reilly stated that he would "use all the power that I have on radio and television to bring horror into the world of people" who "diminish and denigrate the [Christmas] holiday." O'Reilly singled out "oppressive, totalitarian, anti-Christian forces in this country" as those who seek to undermine Christmas, asserting that these "forces" are "on the run, because I will put their face and their name on television and I will talk about them on the radio if they do it." He later added: "There is no reason on this earth that all of us can not celebrate a public holiday devoted to generosity, peace, and love together," cautioning that "anyone who tries to stop us from doing it is gonna face me."Horror into the world? I don't even know where to start commenting on this.
Thanks to Lovely Salome for alerting me to a video of Jon Stewart responding to Bill O'Reilly's attack on a year-old clip from The Daily Show.
* * *
And finally, in the spirit of Christmas unity, let me share a sign I saw at Walgreens that Jerry Falwell, Bill O'Reilly, and I can all condemn:
Happy Holiday's
I'll admit it: I'm evangelical about correct apostrophe usage.
Photo of Madonna of the Flowers by Lady-Bug on flickr.com.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
8 Comments:
"At the risk of practicing theology without a license..."
Oh man, I need to get me one of those! :)
Great post. It still amazes me the stuff people will get all in a huff about.
word.
i'm so tired of this ridiculousness. i am not a christian, but believe me, i am not responsible for the moral degradation of society. not even a little! i don't want to wish everyone "merry christmas" without knowing their personal preference, because i like to be nice to people if possible. ("didn't jesus say something about that," he asked?) yelling at me about that isn't going to make the country more moral. it's just going to make me more pissy toward christianity. and here i thought it'd worked past that.
grr.
tom
Ben! I thought you had a theology license.
I wonder about Walgreens managers' who let there employee's put up signs like that without making sure its correct. Is grammar a challenge because of poor schools or because it's not valued?
:)
(And I don't know if Jerry Falwell would really care. He seems a little busy selling annuities and Bible homschool programs, which I think he guarantees will get you into Heaven ahead of others waiting in line.)
This is from a newspaper ad that Falwell took out about what you can and cannot celebrate in public, according to the Constitution.
"Regarding the 'Friend or Foe' campaign, Mathew Staver, President and General Counsel of Liberty Counsel, says, 'We are resolved to stop the Grinch from stealing
Christmas. This nation was founded by people who sought to freely exercise their religious liberty. We have no intention of letting these liberties be chilled every Christmas
season by uninformed or hostile government officials.'"
Interesting that he mentions Christmas and how this nation was founded. I wonder which "founding" he was referring to: John Smith & Jamestown? Surely not, as they were financed by the London Company as a business venture. No religious intentions there. The Puritans? This cannot be, as the Puritans believed that Christmas celebrations were too gaudy, unholy and smacked of Catholic traditions. And then there are the Founding Fathers (invoke thy name only with capital letters), but many states fined citizens for Christmas celebrations because it was considered a British holiday.
Silly people, all of them.
I'd be seriously offended if I was a Christian. I'm sure that doesn't mean much to some people - why should I voice an opinion about the subject if I'm not? - but I'm only applying a little logic here. It seems the only name they are trying to give glory to is their own.
Bravo!!
I agree with Tom, Happy Holidays works for me...it's just plain polite. Of course in this political firestorm, I'm sure there are plenty of Fundamentalists who would be quite offended by that particular greeting...Bah Humbug to them!!
Angel
Dear Readers, it was kind of you not to point out that despite my passion for using apostrophes correctly, I accidently inserted one into Walgreens. I've corrected that, as well as the spelling of Jerry Falwell's name.
Great post--as usual. I AM the C-word for all intents and purposes. I have been trying to decide (like you) whether to post at all about all this commotion on "Happy Holidays" vs. "Merry Christmas." So far I have gotten my mind and fingers to say what I mean. It's all so ridiculous! Perhaps I will do that tomorrow...after all, it's another day!
Hh
Post a Comment
<< Home