Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Foods of Childhood


When is the last time you ate a Goldfish cracker? If you answered "this morning," you're probably the parent of a young child. If your answer can be measured in years, you're probably not.

Certain foods are in the province of childhood. Before Ben was born, I'd buy a box or two of crackers a year, almost always to go with interesting cheese. Now we buy a box or two a week (usually Tasty Little Crackers--the ranch ones if we're being adventurous). How often do adults eat dry Cheerios, little boxes of raisins, or animal crackers? But once you have a toddler, you need foods that are portable and moderately healthy. Ben's current favorite snack is a mixture of Craisins, raisins, Cheerios, and Goldfish, which is guaranteed to keep him quiet while we're out, as long as he doesn't accidently spill it on the floor. I held out against Goldfish for a while, but I relented a few weeks ago when they were on sale and I discovered they no longer have trans fats.

At the grocery store today, we bought a mixture of "kid food" and "adult food": peanut butter and jelly, and hummus, and Goldfish. We pull Ben towards adulthood by offering a range of more complex foods and thus risking his scrunched-up icky face. But sometimes, when the three of us sit around eating crackers out of the box, I marvel how having children tugs you back towards your own childhood. I appreciate having the chance to go back and revisit the foods I left behind.

1 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

Your post reminded me about going to the lake this past September, about how kids encourage you to do things you wouldn't normally do. And there was a line in "Homicide: Life on the Street" about the food thing: a woman offers a detective something to drink and mentions that they have apple juice. The detective says that she hasn't had apple juice in years. The woman asks, you don't have children, do you? Only parents of young children drink apple juice :)

They make us more responsible, but they also remind us of how to be silly and young. One of the coolest ladies I've know in recent years was a foster mom to over 30 children while her kids were growing up and then leaving home. She was very patient and she knew how to adapt, if nothing else!

5:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home