Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Monday, December 05, 2005

Monday Miscellaney

Good news: two or more cups of coffee or tea a day can protect your liver! This blogger is always eager to improve her health, so this Christmas you can send Starbucks gift cards her way.

* * *

According to the New York Times, sales of impotence drugs are falling. Insert joke here. (Even that sounds dirty!)

* * *

The Washington Times reports that, thanks to House Speaker Dennis Hastert, the festively decorated evergreen near the Capitol is back to being called a Christmas tree, after years of being a Holiday tree. In Boston, city officials created a furor by calling their tree a Holiday tree, but they quickly caved, thanks in part to pressure from Jerry Fallwell. While I do have sympathy for their perspective, someone needs to tell the guys who claim that evergreens are exclusively Christian that Christmas trees spring from pagan tradition. Pagan tree, anyone?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm writing from here in the country where "pagan trees" were appropriated by Christianity several hundred years ago...but my comment has nothing to do with Christmas trees or Germany--although I can verify that they certainly have kept the tree tradition going strong here! (My impression is that Germans call it the "Weihnachtens-baum", which means, "Christmas tree". I'll ask around what the German word is for "pagan".

Anyway, the comment I wanted to add is a funny little thing about Bill O'Reilly pointed out a few days ago on the huffingtonpost. Now, O'Reilly has been one of the right-wing blowhards pontificating about how secular liberals are trying to get rid of Christmas, or something like that. (Never mind that there are a zillion other far more important, and even morally significant, issues in the world these days!) But someone found that O'Reilly's own website was offering "holiday ornaments" instead of Christmas ornaments. Anti-O'Reilly bloggers had a great time pointing this out, and within a short span, the website had been changed.

2:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home