Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Friday, December 02, 2005

Holiday Poll

Now that it's December and I've dug out all our Christmas CDs, here's a little poll to put you in the holiday spirit.

1) Have you finished your Christmas shopping yet?
2) What is your favorite Christmas music?
3) Do you think kids should be encouraged to believe in Santa? Why or why not?
4) What is your best tip for making the holidays less stressful?

5 Comments:

Blogger Resolution Gal said...

1) Mostly. Except for the stocking stuffers. :)

2) Bing Crosby. Or Chanticleer. Or some other group I can't remember. LOL

3) Sure. Santa is a myth that's relatively harmless, and great fun. Eventually they'll discover the truth, but I like the element of mystery and magic. :)

4) Lots of liquor in the eggnog. J/K. Sing Christmas carols - loudly and often. Have a little stash of extra gifts in case you forgot someone. Smile - fake it till you feel it. :)

11:40 AM  
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

1. Yes
2. Classical: Nutcracker; Singing: Bing
3. I don't see any harm in the myth. It's fun while it lasts. And then when I got older, knowing that my parents were selfless enough to attribute all of their generosity and thoughtfulness about our gifts to a mythic non-entity became an interesting twist on my memories of the holidays. But, because Keven is from England and I like being different, our girls believe in Father Christmas. I think we have this season left before they realize that they can actually ASK for things for Christmas. This year, the concept is that Father Christmas just brings presents - voila! No demands for this gift or that placed on "him" so far!
4. Oh, I'd have to agree with the liquor. But also, I really believe in staying within my holiday budget. There's nothing worse than feeling guilty about holiday over-spending, or dreading the arrival of the credit card bill - what a Christmas downer!

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) I used to think only crazy people were done by Thanksgiving (one year in college I once shopped for all gifts on DECEMBER 24; it was insane, but also pretty funny to be out there with all the panicked-looking boyfriends and husbands lining up in front of the jewelry store). I guess now I am in the crazy category (for this and many other reasons).

2) The soundtrack to the Rudolph xmas special. (Yes, I really am, and will always remain, four years old.) I also like Perry Como, thanks to my mom's training.

3) What?! Santa's not real?! (See above.)

4) Smile and nod a lot. Don't try to outdo each other on gifts. Remind yourself that other people's families may even be crazier than your own.

1:28 PM  
Blogger tom said...

1. no.
2. weird alternative christmas stuff. before emusic stopped being unlimited downloads, you could get a lot of weird christmas music for not much.
3. no. if they want to believe, they don't need encouragement. if they don't want to, you're just going to be one of the first people in their lives to try to tell them something is true when it isn't. (this is coming from the guy who, as a kid, planted a tape recorder down the hall from the tree in order to test whether or not there was a santa.)
4. other than traveling, i don't usually find the holidays stressful, so i don't have many tips.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Francesca said...

1. Hell, no. What's December for anyway? I like humming carols while I shop (online) and there's a no carols before Thanksgiving rule in my clan.

2. A Charlie Brown Christmas; Loreena McKennitt, Drive the Cold Winter Away. Carols from King's College. Chanticleer. And so on.

3. We're as half-assed about this as we are about everything else -- what can you expect from two overly-educated, inherently doubtful questioners? Still, we pretend a little and leave sherry and a mince pie out for Father Christmas and if there's a present that no one can remember who bought, it comes from him. Ho ho ho.

4. My plan for this is only doing what you find fun and deciding not to do (saying buggerit to) what isn't and if you run out of time, deciding that you never wanted to do it anyway. And lots of knitting. And sherry. And mince pies. And lots of mulled wine.

I love Christmas. And this, from a recovering Catholic whose mother actually HATES Christmas. Ho ho ho.

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home