Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Buyer Beware


Just a little tidbit to put you in the mood for Christmas toy shopping: according to cnn.com, toys "remain a major cause of childhood deaths." To put this statement in perspective, though, only 16 child deaths were attributed to toys in 2004. Emergency room visits were a more common outcome of toy incidents, with 210,000 reported. I know we've gotten more lax about what we allow Ben to play with, and we even allow balloons if we're supervising, so this is a welcome reminder to be vigilant.

My favorite swallowing story comes from my brother Trey. When he was preschool-age, he and I and our brother Jay were all lounging on the living room floor while Jay and I played chess with a cheap plastic chess set. We were all putting the hollow captured pieces on the tips of our fingers like long plastic fingernails. Suddenly, Trey gasped and started choking on a pawn; my mom attempted the Heimlich maneuver, but he swallowed it. I was crushed when we had to delay our trip to California (and Disneyland) while we waited for the darn thing to come out. As far as I know, it was never found.

Photo by darkmatter on flickr.com.

4 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

You have a favorite choking story...... :)

9:15 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

heh, I have a favorite too! I was about 10 and for some reason was playing with a marble in my mouth. I accidentally swallowed it. We too looked for it to come out but never found it. Weird.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

My best friends sister swallowed some of the pieces from the operation game... she thought she could use the buzzer to get them out!! LMAO!!

Elizabeth swallowed a marble one time too, but it did come out... ick. Better than not coming out... Ben, you may still have a marble floating around in there somewhere... haha!!

10:52 PM  
Blogger Shekky said...

I once swallowed a Little Orphan Annie necklace...the whole thing. YIKES!

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home