Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Saturday Art

Visiting the archives:

Boxer

Boxer, head bent

Boxer, Back

Boxer, Detailed Sweatshirt

I found these in my portfolio when I was putting away my drawing from last week. I got the idea to draw Regina's brother's boxing club when I was going through a stale period two years ago. A college teacher once suggested that the class draw swimmers (the Natatorium was near the art building) to loosen up. You know, it's hard to get careful while drawing when your subject is splashing around. Anyway, I remembered this and arranged it so that I could hang out and take pictures and draw while the boxers practiced. I didn't realize how meditative they would look. I did some painting and color drawings based on them which I also pulled out after finding these.


I put them away in the first place because the one I hung in public didn't sell. I was so sure that *someone* would find them interesting that when there was no interest I just wanted them away. It's funny that now that I post here regularly, I don't care that much whether I sell things or not.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

Yeah, they do look very contemplative. Before I read that they were of a boxer I thought they were drawings of a man that was struggling through something emotional and deep.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Francesca said...

Boxing is a strange phenomenon, such controlled violence and yet, nonetheless, so bloody. It is interesting how what you captured is the interior struggle, rather than the exterior one.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Tess said...

I love these! They look very polished. I liked the ones you did in color, too. Too bad you never made it to my ballet class to draw (or maybe it's just as well).

9:16 AM  
Blogger Shekky said...

I enjoy seeing how your works come together. It's more than just the art, it's the process that makes the final product more appealing.

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home