Remember When.....
Here's a game I've stolen from Milliner's Dream. Your task, dear readers, is to post entirely fake memories of spending time with me. Nothing too disturbing, please. Hannah is offering a prize, but I'm not sure I feel up to that. If I get enough responses, maybe I'll have my family judge and I'll send out an authentic St. Louis post card to the winner. (Do you feel motivated yet?)
On Hannah's web site, I posted about my imaginary tattoo. I've had the imaginary tattoo ever since I taught 12th grade English and made the grumbling seniors memorize the opening lines of the Canterbury Tales in Middle English. One day my friend Tracy, a history teacher, and I thought it would be fun to play with the minds of our freshmen, so we started rumors about each other. We didn't lie, but we did misdirect: "Ask Ms. X about her Harley," or "Ask Ms. Thompson about her tattoo." When two squealing freshman girls came up to me before class and said, "Ms. X says you have a tattoo!" I touched my stomach and said, "I do not! And if I did, it certainly wouldn't be the prologue to the Canterbury Tales." Thus began a spirited week or two, before we eventually came clean (though I refused to show anyone my navel).
Here's my post to Hannah:
Now you try it. Have fun!
On Hannah's web site, I posted about my imaginary tattoo. I've had the imaginary tattoo ever since I taught 12th grade English and made the grumbling seniors memorize the opening lines of the Canterbury Tales in Middle English. One day my friend Tracy, a history teacher, and I thought it would be fun to play with the minds of our freshmen, so we started rumors about each other. We didn't lie, but we did misdirect: "Ask Ms. X about her Harley," or "Ask Ms. Thompson about her tattoo." When two squealing freshman girls came up to me before class and said, "Ms. X says you have a tattoo!" I touched my stomach and said, "I do not! And if I did, it certainly wouldn't be the prologue to the Canterbury Tales." Thus began a spirited week or two, before we eventually came clean (though I refused to show anyone my navel).
Here's my post to Hannah:
Remember the time you talked me into getting a tattoo? For ages, I had wanted the opening lines of the Canterbury Tales tattooed in a spiral around my navel, but I kept second-guessing myself. As we were having coffee at Starbucks one day, you said, "You know you want to. I dare you." You jumped up and pushed me towards the door.
At the tattoo parlor, you calmed my nerves as I waited for my turn. When the bald man with his little tuft of goatee started with the W in "Whan" several inches above my navel, I shrieked a little bit, but you helped me calm down and take deep breaths. (Those doula skills come in handy!)
You kept me entertained with birthing stories for a while, although the man kept interrupting to ask me how to spell the words. When he had finished, I looked down at the beautiful blue spiral around my navel and smiled. "Thank you, Hannah," I said. Then I recited the opening lines of the prologue for you and the tatoo man, and you both applauded when I finished.
I'll never forget that day.
Now you try it. Have fun!
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
4 Comments:
Tess! Remember the time that we decided we needed a day of "cultured fun." First we had cafe au lait and croissant at a french bakery. We felt Starbucks would be too predictable and not at all really "cultured." We headed to the art museum--an adventure I'd live over everyday if I could. Then in the afternoon we visited several antique and bookstores in search of a copy of Canterbury Tales for yo and A Tale of Two Cities for me. We read passages and poems from dusty books on the teetering shelves. (It was like choosing cards in a Hallmark store but MUCH better!) We forgot to eat lunch--a surprise, indeed--and headed for an all-natural bistro where we stuffed ourselves right down to creme brulee' for dessert. We should do it again sometime. Without the heartburn I had that night, of course...
Hannah
Canterbury tales for YOU...
Hh
Remember the time we asked that stripper where she got her boots? That was a funny night... what I can remember of it.
Uber~Tess, Remember the time we went to that little Irish pub tucked in the corner of downtown and had a few too many pints, then switched to boilermakers...there was a group of exchange students singing and we drunkenly joined in..."When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" "Danny Boy" "The Wearing of The Green". As is usually the case when one is that drunk, I took it in my head to begin dancing, surrounded as I was by my fellow Irishmen...you stopped me before I climbed on the table. We closed the pub that night, and staggered the four blocks to my little downtown apartment, still singing "The Humours of Whiskey." Ah, the joys of being young.
Post a Comment
<< Home