Happy Mardi Gras!
It's Fat Tuesday, and the media are covering New Orleans' attempts to get their celebrations back on track. The parades this year give the residents a chance to make light of their troubles, and some of the floats have mocked FEMA and the federal government in general.
St. Louis, a city that has claimed for years to have the second-largest Mardi Gras celebration, was hopeful that revelers would come here instead of New Orleans, but city boosters were disappointed that people seem to have gone to Mobile, Alabama instead.
During my time in England, I celebrated Mardi Gras as Pancake Day. Although almost no one gives up milk and eggs for Lent any more, the tradition is still strong, and grocery stores have big displays of pancake mix. I've celebrated Pancake Day off and on for years; I'm not big into raucous drinking, but I do like pancakes. This year, we're going to a pancake dinner at church--in part because Ben loves pancakes and will eat them at any opportunity.
Happy Mardi Gras to all!
St. Louis, a city that has claimed for years to have the second-largest Mardi Gras celebration, was hopeful that revelers would come here instead of New Orleans, but city boosters were disappointed that people seem to have gone to Mobile, Alabama instead.
During my time in England, I celebrated Mardi Gras as Pancake Day. Although almost no one gives up milk and eggs for Lent any more, the tradition is still strong, and grocery stores have big displays of pancake mix. I've celebrated Pancake Day off and on for years; I'm not big into raucous drinking, but I do like pancakes. This year, we're going to a pancake dinner at church--in part because Ben loves pancakes and will eat them at any opportunity.
Happy Mardi Gras to all!
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
5 Comments:
Tess,
We're having pancakes at church tonight, too. Thanks for finding that church, by the way.
Do you think God will give me bonus points for that?
Too bad we could all go together....
Can anyone explain to me how to remove comments?
I meant too bad we couldn't.
By coincidence, we had English-style pancakes on Sunday morning.
And when you view your blog, logged in to your account, and take a look at the comments, there should be a little trash can icon next to the time each comment was posted. You can delete it from there. The icon is only visible if you are logged in and looking at your own website.
Ah, it all makes sense now.
Post a Comment
<< Home