Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Saturday Art: Improvement

Here's last week's effort:

finished project


Here's the improvement:

marker pose

I realized I wasn't interested in the shadows on the ground as much as I was interested in the pose. This was my first try at simplifying it. I used markers and a little colored pencil but it still looked blah, with no depth.

Then I got out the pen and ink and did two versions... this one being the better one:

ink pose

The lines are more interesting here because of the varying widths, but some areas still look flat. I don't really know how to control the ink flow. Half of the time I drew a line and nothing came out. I don't know if I bent the nibs (ugh, I hate that word!) or my ink is old and too thick, or I just can't use them. I really suspect it's ignorance that is the problem. You're probably going to see this drawing again next week, perhaps with color, once I get the hang of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home