Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

A Tiny Little Vent


Every year it happens: I lose a glove in January. Worse yet, I never learn from experience--or maybe I just optimistically hope that this will be the year I make it through the winter with my gloves intact. This fall, I bought a nice pair of leather gloves at a store's going out of business sale. Sure enough, last week I lost one of my beloved gloves somewhere between here and Chicago. I don't want to point fingers (with it being so cold and all), but my guess is that the culprit is about 30 inches tall and likes to go around clapping with oversized gloves on his hands.

So I decided that I'd spend some of my precious clothing budget on a replacement pair. When I went to Target, though, I was horrified. If I'd wanted a bikini or a pair of flip-flops, I would have been all set. They had half a clearance rack of leopard print or olive-green leather gloves, and none of them fit. Other than that, nothing.

I'm sorry, but it's JANUARY. It's not like we had a freak snowstorm in April and I'm suddenly looking for gloves. It's WINTER. This is the time that people wear gloves. Why do stores think I'm about to head out to the beach? Are that many people really in the market for a bikini at the moment?

Note to self: Next year, buy two pairs of gloves in August.

Photo by Dev Null on flickr.com.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kellee said...

Funny stuff!

I've got someone around my house that's around 30" and loves to clap with oven mits on her hands! We've got oven mits scattered around EVERYWHERE & they're never around when I need them! What is it about these little people?!

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always loose socks! I kept a mental diary and log about all the adventures I have trying to find the darn things :). And my sucessful rate is very low! lol

8:38 AM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

If you can find them in August...buy four pair!

Hh

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, there's nothing like a good rant now and then. :) I know what you mean, though. I tried to buy a bathing suit last summer, and all they had were fur-lined parkas. I keep hoping that they will get so far ahead that they'll actually lap themselves. You'll be able to buy gloves in January; they'll just be NEXT January's gloves.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Elisa said...

It's the same way around here in VA. Bathing suits are out already!

Maybe it's to cheer us up out of the winter blues.

Hope you find your missing glove.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home