A Difficult Subject
Abortion. I’ve been thinking about this topic for a while now, but I haven’t been able to bring myself to write about it. But now, the day after the 33rd anniversary of Roe v. Wade, I will.
I have been pro-choice for as long as I can remember. We live in a time when abortion rights are being eroded, and control is being passed to the states. Here in Missouri, a new law strengthened parental consent requirements and made it illegal for adults to give minors information about nearby states without those requirements. Abortion opponents are pushing for a law that would let pharmacists opt out of dispensing Plan B—emergency contraception that prevents pregnancy by preventing fertilization or implantation, as the birth control pill and the IUD do. I worry about the slippery slope that could lead to the criminalization of some forms of birth control.
But I have done nothing to fight for women’s right to choose. Part of me believes this is a battle I should be fighting, and part of me doesn’t have the stomach for it.
Abortion is difficult to fight for. Even if you don’t believe it’s tantamount to murder—the killing of a full-fledged human being—it’s the death of something. Given my limited time and money, it’s hard for me to say that this cause takes priority over, say, donating food to the food bank.
I wonder if I’m selfish. At this point in my life, chances are remote that I would ever need or want an abortion. If I were to have an unintended pregnancy, I’d be able to care for and love the baby. When I was pregnant with Ben, Tom and I turned down the triple screen test on the grounds that we wouldn’t abort a baby with any of the problems the test screened for.
Being a parent has changed my perspective. I know what it’s like to care about a tiny clump of cells, to hear a prenatal heartbeat with desperate love. But I also know that I was fortunate to have my first pregnancy occur within the context of a loving marriage. Motherhood—from pregnancy forward—is a difficult enterprise, and I would not want to force it on other women. Knowing what a hard choice abortion must be for the women who choose it makes me even more adamant that it should be an option. If someone believes that is her best choice, I don’t think it’s my place to argue.
I believe that the best way to stop abortions is comprehensive sex education, coupled with empowering girls and women to have dreams that preclude teen pregnancy. When I was a teenager, I knew I wanted to go to college. I knew I wanted to be a writer. I knew having a baby too soon would interfere with those goals. I also wouldn’t have put up with a boyfriend who tried to pressure me into doing things I didn’t want to do.
But I also know I had a lot going for me as a teenager: loving, involved parents who valued education; good teachers; enough money that all my needs and some of my wants were met. If I ever have a daughter, I hope she’ll have strong goals and loving, thoughtful relationships. Many young women aren’t so lucky. And even young women with advantages make mistakes. I believe that abortion should be a legal option.
It makes me sad that some of the people who are most strongly anti-abortion also believe that teenagers shouldn’t be taught about birth control, and argue that emergency contraception shouldn’t be available. I agree with those people that there are too many abortions performed in the U.S. Keeping abortion legal, I would like to find ways to reduce that number. Why can’t we all work towards living wages, accessible birth control, affordable child care, and health care for everyone who needs it?
I don’t think abortion is desirable, but I think at times it can be the best option. I don’t want to promote it, but at the same time I think it should be available. So that’s why I’m not an activist right now. Or maybe my activism is starting right here, as I post these thoughts and try to decide on my next step.
I have been pro-choice for as long as I can remember. We live in a time when abortion rights are being eroded, and control is being passed to the states. Here in Missouri, a new law strengthened parental consent requirements and made it illegal for adults to give minors information about nearby states without those requirements. Abortion opponents are pushing for a law that would let pharmacists opt out of dispensing Plan B—emergency contraception that prevents pregnancy by preventing fertilization or implantation, as the birth control pill and the IUD do. I worry about the slippery slope that could lead to the criminalization of some forms of birth control.
But I have done nothing to fight for women’s right to choose. Part of me believes this is a battle I should be fighting, and part of me doesn’t have the stomach for it.
Abortion is difficult to fight for. Even if you don’t believe it’s tantamount to murder—the killing of a full-fledged human being—it’s the death of something. Given my limited time and money, it’s hard for me to say that this cause takes priority over, say, donating food to the food bank.
I wonder if I’m selfish. At this point in my life, chances are remote that I would ever need or want an abortion. If I were to have an unintended pregnancy, I’d be able to care for and love the baby. When I was pregnant with Ben, Tom and I turned down the triple screen test on the grounds that we wouldn’t abort a baby with any of the problems the test screened for.
Being a parent has changed my perspective. I know what it’s like to care about a tiny clump of cells, to hear a prenatal heartbeat with desperate love. But I also know that I was fortunate to have my first pregnancy occur within the context of a loving marriage. Motherhood—from pregnancy forward—is a difficult enterprise, and I would not want to force it on other women. Knowing what a hard choice abortion must be for the women who choose it makes me even more adamant that it should be an option. If someone believes that is her best choice, I don’t think it’s my place to argue.
I believe that the best way to stop abortions is comprehensive sex education, coupled with empowering girls and women to have dreams that preclude teen pregnancy. When I was a teenager, I knew I wanted to go to college. I knew I wanted to be a writer. I knew having a baby too soon would interfere with those goals. I also wouldn’t have put up with a boyfriend who tried to pressure me into doing things I didn’t want to do.
But I also know I had a lot going for me as a teenager: loving, involved parents who valued education; good teachers; enough money that all my needs and some of my wants were met. If I ever have a daughter, I hope she’ll have strong goals and loving, thoughtful relationships. Many young women aren’t so lucky. And even young women with advantages make mistakes. I believe that abortion should be a legal option.
It makes me sad that some of the people who are most strongly anti-abortion also believe that teenagers shouldn’t be taught about birth control, and argue that emergency contraception shouldn’t be available. I agree with those people that there are too many abortions performed in the U.S. Keeping abortion legal, I would like to find ways to reduce that number. Why can’t we all work towards living wages, accessible birth control, affordable child care, and health care for everyone who needs it?
I don’t think abortion is desirable, but I think at times it can be the best option. I don’t want to promote it, but at the same time I think it should be available. So that’s why I’m not an activist right now. Or maybe my activism is starting right here, as I post these thoughts and try to decide on my next step.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
11 Comments:
I also think abortions is one of em tricky kinda situations. I personally dont think you should abort a fetus because of ones "mistakes". But in some cases such as uncalled for pregnancy due to criminal activities, I think abortions can be an answer. Its like that cloning thing :). Why is the sky blue, sorta things Lol
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
I could have written your post, it so reflects my conflicted opinions about the subject, the change in attitude (or at least the aggression of my beliefs) after having my girls, etc. Well said... now if only we could come up with a plan of action instead of just an eloquent way of putting our views :(
(SORRY - initially posted this while logged in for a club website I run!)
I'm a conservative Southern Baptist Minister. You and I disagree on some things. However, I have to say this is one of the most honest and truthful posts about abortion I've read in a while. I think sex ed is necessary, access to birth control a good thing and I really appreciate what you said about easily accessable child care.
You and I don't differ too much on this issue. It seems that you're a little left of center and I'm a little right of center. That makes us pretty close.
I must weigh in on this issue because it's this issue. I'm beyond pro-choice and well into of-course-it's-my-choice, choice. So there we go. So let's put up our dukes and do the dumb thing we've gotta do.
Are you threatening to fight me, Kaela? Because that's fine, since you'd have to come visit first. Bring it on.
Ben, you make an interesting point--that left of center and right of center are fairly close together. This is one of those issues that gets so polarized between extremes that no one is really talking about it any more--just repeating talking points over and over. Most Americans seem to be somewhere in the middle, though.
I'm just happy no one has condemned me to hell yet for my post.
Ditto, Ben, Tess...
Abortion is THE most difficult thing for me to express myself about, in terms of my beliefs...partly because it is volatile a subject, also because it is quite emotional and ties in heavily with the work that I do.
It is also because I have beliefs on the subject that contradict--to some degree--my upbringing and the generally-likeminded-people of my "circle" and my church.
Perhaps I shall get brave--like you and be honest on my blog one of these days. It is my blog, after all, right?
Hh
P.S. How weird that my word verification is: yxsnsex ?
Tess,
No, I'm not threatening to fight you. I'm just ready for the same old endless pointless fight that you alluded to in your response to Ben. I hate the fight, but I will always stand my ground when it comes to this damn subject.
*sigh*
Wow! You hit the nail on the head when you said that even women with all the advantages in the world still make mistakes...trust me, I know.
Abortion must reamain legal & it must be left up to the individual. Period. End of story.
Now that we've solved that, what's next? The death penalty? Bring it on!
In all seriousness, thank you so much for this post, Tess. It's honest, straight-forward and right on the money in my opinion.
When you lay your head down tonight, pray to God that you are never, ever faced with this decision. And pray that your (possible) future daughters aren't either. Trust me, I know...
Kellee, your comment brought tears to my eyes.
First, let's remove any doubt about my point of view: I'm a white Christian southern male. Now for the good part. :)
Two major issues are being fought over right now in America, and though they're far apart in terms of inherent morality and legality, they both have a strikingly similar question we should be asking: 1. For illegal immigration 'rights' activists, what part of 'illegal' doesn't make sense!? 2. For pro-abortion activists (not 'pro-choice' for all you euphemists), what part of 'killing' doesn't make sense!? God put forth very specific laws regarding the killing of another person, whether it's during a war or via the death penalty. Nowhere did He ever even HINT that it was OK to take the life of an unborn child. That crime is an invention of our twisted society, and God doesn't make mistakes. EVERY child was created through His will. Who are WE to decide it was a 'mistake'?
Talk with 100 women who've made the mistake of aborting their babies, and you'll likely find 98 of them who regret THAT 'choice' MUCH more than they will ever regret the mistake they originally made to become pregnant in the first place. It is a cold, dead heart indeed that finds the ability to kill an unborn child. We should in addition to teaching abstinence be requiring every abortion clinic to provide a sonogram to patients so they can see what they're really doing. Those same 98 women who'd made the wrong choice would probably also say they would much rather have to live with the fact that they'd given up their baby for adoption.
Post a Comment
<< Home