Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Signs of Spring


This morning, instead of getting up and immediately making coffee, checking email, or reading the paper, I sat on the front step for a few minutes and looked around the neighborhood. Rain was falling, and the damp air smelled of mud. A squirrel scrambled up a treetrunk, ran out across a thin branch, paused, and then sprang to another tree. In a distant treetop, a bird sang the same two notes over and over.



The mornings are growing lighter, and the birds are growing louder. The bulbs are starting to poke up through the dirt, reminding me it's less than two weeks until spring.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Few people know this, but the bird singing those same two notes is the Birdicus Simpsonicus, or, colloquially, the "heah-heah" bird, named after the character on the Simpsons who points a finger and sniggers a two-tone, "Heah-heah!" whenever something bad happens to someone else.

Or maybe it's just called that at my house. :) (But ever since it was named, hearing that bird always makes me laugh. I picture it up there in its tree, pointing its little wing at my house: "Heah-heah!")

11:25 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

LOL, I blogged about spring today!

I love your pictures!

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home