Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Pulitzer Prizes

The 2006 Pulitzer Prizes have been announced. I've listed below the winners in the Arts category; for more information about the winners, including those for journalism, click here. For the three drama nominees, being chosen was probably a mixed blessing; no award was made in that category. According to the Pulitzer web site, "If in any year all the competitors in any category shall fall below the standard of excellence fixed by The Pulitzer Prize Board, the amount of such prize or prizes may be withheld." Ouch. I'm interested to read March, the fiction winner, because it's a retelling of Little Women from the father's point of view.

2006 Pulitzer Prizes

Fiction: March, by Geraldine Brooks

Drama: No Award

History: Polio: An American Story, by David M. Oshinsky

Biography: American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer, by Kai Bird and Martin J. Sherwin

Poetry: Late Wife, by Claudia Emerson

General Nonfiction: Imperial Reckoning: The Untold Story of Britain's Gulag in Kenya, by Caroline Elkins

Music: Piano Concerto: 'Chiavi in Mano,' by Yehudi Wyner

5 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

Brooks' debut novel, Year of Wonders, should be near the top of your reading list. Plague. Anguish. Religious complexities. Great drama. Haven't read March, tho.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Tess said...

Mike, whom would you nominate for a broader Drama category? Or music, for that matter?

6:23 AM  
Blogger Tess said...

Gilmore Girls scripts aren't great drama?

7:08 AM  
Blogger Precie said...

When you finish reading it, let me know what you think of March. I'm fascinated by literary retellings and reinventions...like Wide Sargasso Sea / Jane Eyre.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Thanks! I'm putting March on my summer pleasure reading list!

Hh

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home