Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Friday, April 07, 2006

My Imaginary Friends


Last weekend, I went to Washington, DC to meet my imaginary friends. I had met these women on my Babycenter birth board; they all had babies born or due in May 04. Gradually, as we got to know each other, we formed a smaller, nonpublic board. Finally, last weekend, I got to meet some of them. We were all a little nervous. What if we didn't like each other in person? What if one of us was actually a 50-year-old serial killer?

In the early days of the Internet, people were afraid would lead to greater social fragmentation--people sitting alone in front of their monitors. In some ways, this may be true. But it's also a force that brings people together. If it wasn't for the internet, I wouldn't have gotten together with women from Colorado, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Michigan, Maine, and Arkansas. No one turned out to be a serial killer--or if they were, they controlled their tendencies for the weekend.

I was a little embarassed to tell people I was flying across the country to meet internet friends. In fact, I flew into Philly so I could see some real-life friends first and help justify the expense of the trip. But now that we've hung out together, I can drop the "internet" prefix and simply call them friends.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

It just occured to me what a patient man was behind all those cameras.

I hate that I couldn't make it. :(

5:15 PM  
Blogger Tonya said...

Awww Tess, my friend!

5:50 PM  
Blogger Tess said...

I wish you could have been there too, Cathy! There were two patient men behind all those cameras, and several impatient kiddos running around.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

May Ijust say that I'm jealous! SO MUCH FUN!

Hh

7:20 PM  
Blogger Precie said...

Yay for Internet friends turning into real-life friends!!!! :) :) :)

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home