Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

You Can Do It!

Ben's new hobby is jumping on the bed. At first, he wasn't able to get up; we'd have to plop him down in the middle. I started encouraging him to climb up on his own. "You can do it," I told him. Even though it would have been quicker to help him, I watched him struggle. Vertical motion has never been his strong point, which was fine with me for a while--I've never found him standing in the windowsill, for example. But it's time for him to push himself instead of always turning to us for help. Now, most of the time he can climb up on our bed on his own.

Today we went to a new park, one with a rock-climbing wall about as tall as I am. Ben wanted to try it. He needed a hand at one point. I heard him say to himself, "You can do it." At the top, he grinned and went down the slide. By the end of the morning, he climbed the wall by himself.

It heartened me to hear Ben repeating my words. I felt a flicker of hope that maybe the words we say to him do make a difference. In my sentimental mother heart, I hope that it's not just parroting, and he'll carry our encouragement with him as he moves out into the world.



Photo by gisarah on flickr.com.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tess,

That's great!! And so cute, too. :)

I'm so glad you decided not to teach him to bark (exclusively, that is). BTW, Jeremy is learning his animal sounds, so he actually does bark once in a while. :) (We are teaching him words, though, too. Don't worry.) :)

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I truly think that Ben will hear your voice in his head as he gets older. I've heard other children who grew up in abusive homes say that even as adults they could hear their parents berating them. I firmly believe that the oposite is true as well.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Kellee said...

Yay Ben!!!

It's so nice to get those little mother-nuggets every now & again, isn't it?

1:01 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

I STILL quote my mother--and my grandmother--OFTEN!!!

Hh

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home