Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Friday, May 05, 2006

Cinco de Mayo

Today is Cinco de Mayo. I knew that meant the 5th of May, but I had no idea why it was a holiday. Around here, people seem to use it as an excuse to drink margaritas and eat chips and salsa. According to Mexonline,

The holiday of Cinco De Mayo, The 5th Of May, commemorates the victory of the Mexican militia over the French army at The Battle of Puebla in 1862. It is primarily a regional holiday celebrated in the Mexican state capital city of Puebla and throughout the state of Puebla, with some recognition in other parts of the Mexico, and especially in U.S. cities with a significant Mexican population. It is not, as many people think, Mexico's Independence Day, which is actually September 16.

You can find more information about Cinco de Mayo here and here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

It was a perfect holiday to sell beer and tequila, is my understanding.

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home