Mini Book Reviews
Some mothers have told me, "I don't read anymore." I don't understand that. Not anything? Doesn't that make you want to shoot yourself? I've been a voracious reader since childhood. Reading has now become more difficult--and I'm sure it will become more difficult still if we have another baby--but I still manage to slip it in: the newspaper during Elmo's World, magazines during naptime, novels in the evenings. (Could this be why my house isn't tidy?) When Ben's at day care, I read the young adult novels I write book discussion guides for. I go to two book clubs regularly, and a third when I have time. Sometimes I feel like I'm reading at a breakneck pace... but it's part of what makes me feel human.
Today, I give you four brief reviews of books I've read in the past month:
Better for All the World: The Secret History of Forced Sterilization and America's Quest for Racial Purity, by Harry Bruinius. I gather from some of the amazon.com reviews that this book does not present much new research, but rather provides a readable overview of the topic. I was fascinated to read about the eugenics movement in the U.S. in the first half of the 20th century; looming over the narrative, of course, are the atrocities committed in Nazi Germany. As someone who places great faith in science and studies, I found this book a welcome reminder of how intellectualism and elitism can lead people astray. It was interesting to me how in some ways the founders of the eugenics movement were committed to scientific principles, but in other ways they used their research to reinforce their existing prejudices.
* * *
The Other Boleyn Girl, by Philippa Gregory. This trashy but fun story is told from the point of view of Mary Boleyn, Anne Boleyn's sister. Although there were times the first-person narration didn't strike me as authentic (Was "sexy" really a word people used in Tudor times?), I thought Mary made an interesting narrator--as described in the story, she was familiar with the court, but longed for the comfort of love and family. Reading this book inspired me to brush up on my Tudor history, and I discovered that while Gregory invented many of the details, the broad outlines of the story are taken from the history books. She provides fascinating insight into life in the royal court, and the instability caused when the need for a male heir caused a king to take more and more power into his own hands.
* * *
Little Earthquakes, by Jennifer Weiner. I reread this for a different book club; it made me feel almost nostalgic for the days of early motherhood, when even intellectual women desperately buy any book that promises to get their babies to cry less and sleep better. This is an easy read about four women and their experiences with motherhood. Reading it made me nostalgic for Philadelphia.... Although the ending ties everything together a little too neatly, I didn't mind because I was cheering for the characters.
* * *
Heaven Lake, by John Dalton. I chose this novel for my book club because I heard Dalton, a St. Louis writer, give a reading a few months ago and he seemed like a nice guy. In his debut novel (which took him 8 years to write), he tells the story of Vincent, a Christian missionary to Taiwan in the early 1990s. When Vincent's affair with a high school student gets him into trouble, he embarks on a quest through mainland China. I enjoyed the detailed descriptions of Taiwanese and Chinese life, which give a strong sense of the otherness people feel while traveling in a foreign country. This book was more dense and difficult than I had anticipated, but by the end I felt a sense of accomplishment. At the reading, Dalton read a chapter from his next book, set at a Missouri summer camp, and I look forward to reading that one too.
Today, I give you four brief reviews of books I've read in the past month:
Better for All the World: The Secret History of Forced Sterilization and America's Quest for Racial Purity, by Harry Bruinius. I gather from some of the amazon.com reviews that this book does not present much new research, but rather provides a readable overview of the topic. I was fascinated to read about the eugenics movement in the U.S. in the first half of the 20th century; looming over the narrative, of course, are the atrocities committed in Nazi Germany. As someone who places great faith in science and studies, I found this book a welcome reminder of how intellectualism and elitism can lead people astray. It was interesting to me how in some ways the founders of the eugenics movement were committed to scientific principles, but in other ways they used their research to reinforce their existing prejudices.
* * *
The Other Boleyn Girl, by Philippa Gregory. This trashy but fun story is told from the point of view of Mary Boleyn, Anne Boleyn's sister. Although there were times the first-person narration didn't strike me as authentic (Was "sexy" really a word people used in Tudor times?), I thought Mary made an interesting narrator--as described in the story, she was familiar with the court, but longed for the comfort of love and family. Reading this book inspired me to brush up on my Tudor history, and I discovered that while Gregory invented many of the details, the broad outlines of the story are taken from the history books. She provides fascinating insight into life in the royal court, and the instability caused when the need for a male heir caused a king to take more and more power into his own hands.
* * *
Little Earthquakes, by Jennifer Weiner. I reread this for a different book club; it made me feel almost nostalgic for the days of early motherhood, when even intellectual women desperately buy any book that promises to get their babies to cry less and sleep better. This is an easy read about four women and their experiences with motherhood. Reading it made me nostalgic for Philadelphia.... Although the ending ties everything together a little too neatly, I didn't mind because I was cheering for the characters.
* * *
Heaven Lake, by John Dalton. I chose this novel for my book club because I heard Dalton, a St. Louis writer, give a reading a few months ago and he seemed like a nice guy. In his debut novel (which took him 8 years to write), he tells the story of Vincent, a Christian missionary to Taiwan in the early 1990s. When Vincent's affair with a high school student gets him into trouble, he embarks on a quest through mainland China. I enjoyed the detailed descriptions of Taiwanese and Chinese life, which give a strong sense of the otherness people feel while traveling in a foreign country. This book was more dense and difficult than I had anticipated, but by the end I felt a sense of accomplishment. At the reading, Dalton read a chapter from his next book, set at a Missouri summer camp, and I look forward to reading that one too.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
5 Comments:
You nailed the problem with the Boleyn Girl novel: modern language! ANY nod to the fact that people would have spoken a different type of English - nothing Shakespearian here, people, just a little touch of difference - would have lent a great deal to what was otherwise a really fun, trashy book. I mean, the finale when they are trying to reunite the family and escape all of the intrigue is really quite exciting, but I was constantly dragged out of the past because of the party girl dialogue.
I'm glad you've found the time to fit reading in. I haven't been so lucky. I too used to be an avid reader. Now between mothering, wifing, cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing, being a taxi service, volunteer work and friendships I really don't have the time for anything other than newspapers the occasional magazine and the internet.
I suppose you time find for what's important to you. The only time I have to fit it in is bedtime and by that time I'm so exhausted that after a page or two of reading I'm sound asleep.
I do, however, stress the importance of reading to my children (and yes, I do know how important it is for kids to see their parents read). We are rabid library goers and thankfully both kids have inherited both mine & Tony's love of books.
I won't give up on reading though. I'll keep trying until it's second nature again.
Kellee--I'm sure you'll find the time for it again in the future! What kind of volunteering do you do? I haven't been able to find the time for that lately, and I miss it.
Wow! So many typo's & inverted words. That's what I get for trying to type with little people around me!
Tess, I volunteer thru the Jr. League, church & the kid's school (an off-shoot of church). One of the reasons I love volunteering is because it's somewhere I can go & something I can do where I am just Kellee. I'm not so & so's granddaughter, daughter, wife or mother.
But all of that is another post.
I also want to thank you, Tess. I gain so much wisdom & insight from your blog. You are such a smart woman. One who stands up for what she believes in no matter what the issue. You make no apologies for who you are & what you feel. I love that about you! Keep up the good work. You give the rest of us food for thought and things to strive for!
Hugs & Love!
I have Little Earthquakes but haven't read it yet--school! I want to though... :)
I read A LOT while breastfeeding...in fact when I wasn't breatfeeding any more I felt like I lost some me-time. That's years ago...and I never really got that time back...so do most of my reading in bed, to help me get sleepy. I have to read SMALL books--since trying to hold a textbook up (the size of my nursing texts) would break my arm. At least that's why I need to read (pleasure) at night.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Post a Comment
<< Home