Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Monday, May 01, 2006

Writers' Conferences: Not Just for Losers!

I had a great time in Kansas City. I was thrilled to put on my blazer and be a grown-up for a little while. (I'll confess: When I was trying on clothes to pack, I was so excited by looking like a professional that I took a picture. That's what being a stay-at-home-mom/stay-at-home writer will do to you.)

I went through a period of a few years when I avoided writers' groups and conferences. I had the arrogant mid-twentysomething attitude that, though some losers might need that kind of support, I should be able to succeed on my own. I'll go to a conference when I'm asked to present at one, I thought. So I worked by myself, and I worked hard. But then I had a baby, and I couldn't get my writing grove back. I was tired of working in isolation.

Six months after Ben was born, I realized that the way I had been thinking about writing would just leave me frustrated and alone. Networking is important. Having the support of other writers is important. You have to be comfortable with where you are as a writer before you can go anywhere new. I signed up for a conference in Philadelphia, and I enjoyed it.

Now I've realized that, as obvious as it sounds, you don't go to conferences because you've failed; you go because you're intending to succeed. I sat in sessions in which published novelists talked about their own failures; one woman, who had published half a dozen picture books, announced, "I just got a rejection yesterday if that makes y'all feel any better. We could all sit around and cry all day in this business, but it's more fun to go write." Being around other writers reminded me that rejection is part of the business, not something shameful. I also remembered why I read so much: it's a necessary part of knowing my trade.

My one-on-one pitch with the literary agent went well, and she asked me to send the first 50 pages of my novel. I'm trying not to get my hopes up--other agents have asked to read the full or partial manuscript and not offered representation--but I'm hopeful. I spent the 4-hour, rainy drive home thinking about my novel and my future projects. Yesterday, I revised the opening of my novel. After spending the weekend with other people who care passionately about reading and writing, I feel energized, and ready to work.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you read Scalzi's blog? He writes about writing all the time and I love his style. Reading this post reminded me of this post of his.

It really is interesting though, that the more I read the more I want to write.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

I'm excited for you. I can't wait to hear your progress--encourage for others--and we can say we knew you when.

Hh

11:27 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I'd love to know the top 3 books that have influenced you as a writer. Perhaps you could blog about it sometime? :)

I love writing myself, and have just recently been trying to have the guts to actually do something about it. :)

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're right. i suck. (i know that's not what you said. but i'm still at the "i'll go to a conference when i'm invited" stage) ...but your post did help inspire me to send my resume to a friend who says her company will need copy editors this summer... so maybe i can write and be a good mom at the same time...

9:34 AM  
Blogger Tess said...

Ben--thanks for the blog recommendation. I found that post of his very interesting.

Sarah--My top three books? I'll have to think about that for a while.

Alia--You don't suck! If I were in New York, I'd love to go to a conference--I'm sure there are lots of them there. You're lucky to be at the epicenter of publishing, instead of stuck in the Midwest.....

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home